K-Member for the Trans-Am

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
With the new pit I'm going to get the small weeping oil leak fixed on the T/A. Either engine out or drop the suspension. i need to separate the engine from the gear box so i can check the main seal and gaskets around there. Reassemble with new gaskets and some sealant this time.

One way to make it easier to get the sump off is to remove the front suspension, I can make something to hold the engine up while this can be done. This k-member hold the engine mounts that hold the engine in. It saves a little weight, looks nice, plus i can sort the gasket issue while I'm doing this.

This kit is made by UMI and from WS6 Store, http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/catalog/98-02-ls1-umi-performance-front-end-kit-stage-3/

Dave whats your thoughts on this? UMI good to go for? It would be nice to put in all new stuff at the front end. I'll get other suspension mods done with time.
FBS003-1.jpg

I used lots of UMI pieces on my 4th gen. Really good quality and even the powder coat didn’t flake off.
As far as pieces to improve handling you could better spend the money but saving ‘sprung’ weight is a saving and will help.
Personally I would be spending money on the rear end first. A Watts link, adjustable lower control arms and some control arm relocation brackets to get the geometry correct. And whilst you appear to have been lucky with pinion angle noise I would add an adjustable torque arm and that correct.
Along with those springs and Koni shocks it’s virtually as good as the IRS on my C5 Z06.

My old TA has just been sold and the seller commented on how well it handled.... I know I built it but I wouldn’t disagree and neither would the driver of a MK5 Golf GTi who couldn’t shake me on a lovely twisty B Road!

It’s certainly not a bad purchase and would have been next on my list had I not moved on.

Thanks for the info. Thats great to hear about UMI quality. I do plan on doing the rear before the start of next season. I'm planning on removing the k-member anyway to get sump access, so thought while its off, lets sling on a new one.

okay, if I was do go with adjustable LCA's.

This is an UMI adjutable torque arm,

Eliminate unwanted traction problems and transfer your power to the wheels by adding a UMI Performance adjustable torque arm. This aftermarket torque arm replaces the flimsy weak stock torque arm adding strength, rigidity and eliminating flex. This tubular torque arm bolts directly in place of the factory unit using existing mounting holes and requires no drilling or welding, it is a direct bolt-on. The torque arm is designed to eliminate wheel hop under hard acceleration and reduces 60-foot times instantly.

2205a.jpg

Looks like it bolts to the stock rear end and the same position on the transmission at the front. http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor...ce-adjustable-torque-arm-transmission-mount-/
Come in Mild Steel or Chrome Moly, Chrome moly costs a lot more, is it worth going from Chrome Moly?

No.
Not worth it. Get mild steel. It’s more then capable of dealing with the forces applied to it.
You are correct l, it bolts to stock locations and is adjusted using the adjusters.
Get your self a magnetic dial gauge too. Really helps when setting up as you need to calculate the transmission output shaft angle against the pinion on the diff. From memory you need to achieve -4 degrees.

You need the lower control arm relocation brackets too. Yours are pointing upwards due to lowering which is not good for traction and hinders handling as the wheelbase shortens as it moves through its travel. Stock and preferable is level +\- pointing down a little bit.
These can be bolted or welded.

Super, great info. i have send an email to enquire about shipping costs.
Getting thrme lcas and relocation brackets, torque arm and k-member, all umi and adjustable.

With the new strano springs I may not be lowered anymore. The relocation brackets have many positions and the lca's have a length adjustment, so should be able to find the oerfect setting.

Shipping costs is $499 via USPS, I guess there are some long items in there. I'm going for it.

Looking forward to working in the pit putting this stuff on.

Order placed, they didn't quite have enough time to process it before closing time. So he will do it first thing this morning.

Looking forward to getting more parts. No fridge magnets in this order though.

I’m actually quite envious. If you add the Watts link you have the handling mods done to my 97.
Making me miss that car...

Thanks. The Watts link won't be far off. With the garage build and kitchen I have to be careful what I spend incase one needs a little extra funding.

The Watts links looks like a nice bit of kit.

A future mod, perhaps before the start of season.

Okay my shopping list that is on its way is....

FBS003-1 (1).jpg

2205a (1).jpg

2013.jpg

2012.jpg

Shipped via USPS, its coming in 3 packages. I have the tracking info. :)

Just seen this on another website, a chap swapping out his k-member on a 4th gen camaro. This will be me soon.
72655187_1751214311678238_7127468115696287744_n.jpg

Whoop whoop

Parts have landed at Heathrow, 3 boxes. I guess tracking will go dead for a bit as they pass through customs.
Shipped via USPS and very impressed with the tracking info, pretty much in par with FedEx.

Back