Home wifi

AmericanThunder

Super Moderator
For a year now we have had a Mesh WiFi system at home which has a few advantages over standard. But performance has never really been that good, both router to the internet and internally across the WiFi. I suspect we have too many devices for the capabilities of the routers processors so despite being a 4 node system we have been struggling.
In frustration and anticipation of the new treadmill I ripped it all out today and replaced it with the new Netgear Nighthawk RAX200.
Signal strength more than adequate across all devices (even those external ones), finally seeing the full 1gb connection we pay for and by separating the WiFi channels I am seeing very fast speeds to devices across WiFi.
I am quite confident the days of sputtering streaming are over.
Downside? It looks odd like something out of Area 51 or maybe Mars and it’s lack of mesh. I’ll live with the looks for the improved experience, and mesh can be added if required.
Happy happy happy.

I was thinking of getitng one of those, they do look crazy dont they. I've head mesh mentioned many times, good connectividy by speed and ping rate not as good as alternatives. I have gone a different route, Sounds like you have been busy. have yu taken time off work?

Mesh is good because as you move around you attach to the node with the strongest signal whereas traditional WiFi extenders just extend the signal. Mesh also auto-repairs if one node goes down. Good in theory, but in practice I found it lacking especially in a house where lots of streaming is the norm.
No time off work. Just used a quieter day to make changes and it benefits my work too, as it’s better for video conferencing etc.

We have a bog standard Virgin Super Hub, we've had it for years. We watch movies and live sports via WiFi on Now TV and all have smartphones, plus there's an Xbox One in the house..which is probably over used! Teenagers!! 😆. We never experience any issues and signal isn't a problem either, even out in the garden. So as it's not broke, I won't fix it lol.

Have to add, that the router got a work-out last night with various streams running and the problems of the older system were gone. Such a pleasure and knowing that I have added the security I require and don't rely on the DNS hijacking of the major providers. Next job, the VPN expires tomorrow and I want to investigate a new product.

As an update; seriously impressed with the Nighthawk. Excellent coverage, excellent speeds both sides of the router and stability is great too.
For those serious about security and performance it’s a great choice.

Sounds good. If I need to do anything with WiFi, I'll go down this route.
I was looking at one some time back before I ran gigabit ethernet around the house, shed and garage.

Back