Heeeellllp Can I Please Borrow An E-150 302 ECM In Fareham

M45T1N

Hiya all, Ive got a 1987 ford econoline 5.0L 302 and for some reason it suddenly wont start, ive checked the fuel pressure and it is running at 44 psi, there is spark but the plugs arent getting wet, the lives into the ecm are there along with the earth supply in, ive checked for pulse at the injectors with a noid light and there is no pulse.

I just wondered if there is anyone out there in the club that would be kind enough to lend me an ecu for 5 mins just to test to see if my ecm is at fault or if its a wiring problem.

Also the van is out of tax and mot and currently due to the size of it I have no off street parking available :(

Many Thanks
Martin Hoare

Hi Martin,
On Chevy engines, not sure of fords aswell, they require a good signal from the crank position sensor before the injectors / spark do their thing.

Hopefully you will hear from someone with an ECM you can try.

Welcome to the forum.

hi pete i have had a e150 for 9 years and have worked on every part and got to know these vans very well. you will not get a pulse from the injectors until the fuel activates one of the sensors on the fuel side, it would be hard to explain which one as there are 27 sensors on these vans and some should not be taken off with batt connected. does it run 2 tanks? if so next to the front tank is 2 boxes one with 4 pipes either side which is your change over,(valve can get stuck inside) forward to that is the pump in a casing does this activate when the ignition is turned on? you should here a wizzing noise, if not check pump. on the top of engine on fuel rail is a valve take off dust cap and depress center, fuel should come out, as its under pressure, if not there is no fuel reaching the top, if you have spark then it will 9 times out of 10 start, unless your ICV valve is stuck, hope this is of some help and not to confusing, if all else fails i can always come over and take a look.

crazy pete

Hiya Pete I thought I recognised your name, I had a chat with you at the beaulieu summer show the year before last about my van (Dreamweaver) as it turned out it used to be one of your friends motors back in 2002.

Anywho so far I’ve checked the Schrader valve on top of the fuel line and I’ve got around 43psi running through, All 3 fuel pumps prime and carry on running full time, however I’ve noticed the fuel pump relay has started clicking and shutting down the fuel pump occasionally unless I short the orange wire to ground then it keeps the fuel turned on all the time.

I’ve noticed the top left hand corner of the ecu gets too hot to hold on to within about 45 secs of ignition on, I’ve also checked the schematics diagram and the injector circuit lives and earths are all there on the way into the ecu but not on the route out, this is why I think it might need an ecu, and fuel pump relay.

The map + oxygen sensors were changed last year to get the economy up a bit lol, but been running perfectly till a few weeks ago when she just stopped after I left her idling for about an hour :-(

Many Thanks For Any Assistance You Can Give
Martin

We have a club night tonight (Tuesday 25th May) at the Farmhouse off the Eastern Road, dosn't really have an absolute starting time, around 7.30pm ish, some people get there early to have food there. Goes on till 10pm. Pete is usually there most times. I'm not sure if other members may be able to help, but we have a lot more members than what come onto the forum. So feel free to pop along.

hi doing some homework on the ECU they do tend to get hot as te heatsink inside is close to the caseing, but without actually looking at it hard to say, normally if a componant gets hot its because of a dirty earth connection, there are 2 separate earths on these vans as there are 2 chassis, so you will have to check, the top chassi does the lights int and ex and all inside electrics and the lower does engine and etc. the cause of it stopping could be fuel starvation when it gets hot the fuel evaporates in the inlet manifold and is liable to stall after a period of time. if you need for me to look at it i am at pauls place near wickam square perhaps ya wanna bring it over on a sat morn or during week, if you go to www.pauls-place.com all the numbers are on there just book it in. or let us no when ya poppin over, its easier to sort when looking at it, pete

Hi Pete, this ECU does get pretty hot, I'd say much hotter than normal for any ECU I've seen before.
Fuel is definatelty getting to the fuel rail ad a nice high pressure, it shoots out when you connect up the pressure gauge. Are there any sensors that you mentioned on the fuel rail it's self?
The spark is fine as if carb cleaner is sprayed into the engine, it will run on that for a little while, it does just seem to be a problem getting the fuel from the fuel rail to inside the cylinder. I guess, it could be any of the sensors, if they're not working it would think there's not fuel there even if there is. One thing i do know is that when we've been testing the ground has been the body ground, so it would probably be worth re-testing using an engine ground as that could be the problem.

I'll pass the info on if Martin doesn't check back.

Thanks

Right, I haven't told Martin, but as I was at my Dad's today (Martin is my Sister's other half) I thought I'd have a look at the van.

Martin had got a new ECU and some relays from the states, we tried these but it made no difference, however one of the relays was clicking about and by pure chance I wobbled the keys in the ignition barrel and the relay worked perfectly and the fuel pump sprung to life.

We tried putting a lead directly from the battery negative to the engine in case the engine earth had lost contact, but that made no difference.

After trying a few combinations, it seems that both ECUs and relays are working in the same way, so they are probably both fine.
The fuel pump is working and the fuel rail is pressurised
The noid light is not firing, so the injectors are not putting the fuel into the cylinders
The engine turns over and occasionally will try to fire, as if some fuel is getting into the cylinders, but not enough for the engine to fire.
If fuel is put directly into the inlet, it will fire, so the spark plugs are doing their job

I'm guessing one of the 27 sensors you mentioned has given up the ghost and not telling the ECU to allow the injectors to function. In your experience, which one of these is most likely to fail, especially under high heat?

spoke to your dad wen i was working at pauls place and explained some detail to him and showed him on my van what the fuel pump should be doing, it is easier to look at it rather than trying to tell you as there are 4 sensors close to each other whuch couls affect it, if ya stuck let me no on club nite or show on sat, pete

My Dad told me on Wednesday when we did my water pump that you guys had a coffee and a natter at Paul's. After hearing what he said, I'm pretty sure its the sensor that tell the fuel pump to shut off when it reaches the optimum pressure, as the pump doesn't shut off. Guess it could also be the switch box as it wouldn't be able to switch the pump off if it didn't know which pump was on. We'll get there in the end :lol:

Thanks Pete.

hey update on van its the cam position sensor as well as heat sensor which is gone on yours to, but where the fuel keeps pumping that could be computor error on van? be in touch this week, pete

Hey Pete thank you for poping round and looking at the van for me, I think you might of mentioned that sensor before come to think of it hopefully its an easy job then I can start going to the cruises again before the season ends ;-) MOT pending of course lol

Back