'87 Chevy Camaro IROC-Z : My Updates thread

Iroc-Ian

Hello!

As I don't make it out with the car much though I could at least show what I am up to with the car.

After buying and thinking originally to keep it stock I soon realised it had too many differences to keep stock (i.e. later years front GFX) so decided to update it and made it look more modern/street.

Last year was spent just getting its MOT and fixing things, this year the plan is to redo all the interior and next year will be wheels/suspension/sub frame connectors etc to hopefully get it how I want it.

Below are pics and updates of where i have got to so far over the last year or so and welcome any comments (mostly nice ones though!) :

Trailered home from Essex (Where these ALL seem to live) as i bought without an MOT (Turned out it just needed a tiny bit of welding and foglight rewiring)
MOT noted the tyres had plenty of tread but had cracks in the sidewalls, i decided to replace so ordered the tyres to fitted and what happened on the way to getting the tyres fitted ? Yes as soon as tyres got up to temp one of them gave way... i got trailered to a garage who fitted the space saver which i was amazed to see and impressed it actually worked and got me to the garage.

Steering wheel had long lost its leather so i decided to get it recovered as these are quite coveted and don't look bad.

Sent the wheel of to JD Trimming and got them to cover in the exact spec i asked for and looked pretty good. (Having now started the full replace of the interior i will be fitting an aftermarket wheel though)

Driving these days without a cup holder is impossible (if only to use as phone holder) so i replaced the broken original console lid with a new one that includes cup holder

After having a few days of a lovely sounding car, the exhaust finally split apart so while in for a full service I got a full magnaflow system fitted (£900..ouch)
Old exhaust :

New exhaust :

A little update to the orange side markers - Changed them from Orange to Smoked

Found a product to spray the rear lights to give a darker look, best part is that it can be removed with white spirit if you don’t like the outcome.

First part of the interior change was these kick panels , quite rare but long since abandoned when the original stereo was replaced. I decided they would be good to refurb so set about stripping them, taking out the old speakers and putting in some new ones and then dyeing and covering in speaker fabric to complete the look.

The doors needed attention as the fabric was all falling away and torn, the door seals all perished and plastics were broken. First pic shows the door after I had fixed all those things. When I then got to change the interior I decided I didn’t want fabric at all so managed to sourced some blue vinyl door cards and black handles. Door cards were thoroughly cleaned and dyed black and i also replaced the cracked top rail to make the doors look like new!

Next was the (be brave) full strip of the interior. I had found and agreed to swap all interior plastics with someone that had a 91 with black interior

Interior fully stripped out, rear shoulder belt brackets were welded in to upgrade the rear belts from lap belts and new speaker cable run down the right hand side

First start of the refitting new interior - Front and rear carpets laid, rear side plastics installed, rear seat belts bolted in and rear seats installed. I bought a full set of 30th Anniversary leather seats from a 4th gen and the front seats are getting a good refurb before they get installed.

Currently I am re-carperting the centre console and hope to get that back in the car and some more plastics this weekend.

Removed the carpet from the centre console and used as a template to cut new carpet and recover.

New ABS headliner ready for cutting holes for overhead console.
Bought new leather sun visor covers, these simply fit over the old ones and are secured with hidden velco. It’s a tight fit but I am really impressed with them.

Wow, you have been busy. A job well done!. Looking great.

yes well done great write up and photos keep the updates coming, :thumb:

Been a little slow on updates as I have been waiting for my front seats which are taking a lot longer than I hoped being refurbed.

Anyway new headliner is in and interior is all mostly fitted.

This weekend I fitted the stereo, just have the kick panel speakers wired at the moment and they sound good.

Bought as new set of firebird gear shift handle and handbrake handle in leather as I prefer these to the Camaro ones.

Fitted the new steering wheel as well as I wanted a newer look and feel.

Looking good :)

That does look good inside, always good to see progress updates. :)

Finally got seats back and installed last week. All interior now done apart from 1 panel in the rear.
Also had time to take out and replace the front side lights/indicators with new smoked ones.

IMG_3973.jpg

IMG_3972.jpg

IMG_3970.jpg

IMG_3976.jpg

Looking good one chuffed owner great with pictures :biggrin1::thumb:

Thanks!. The next part is very exciting.... next is to strip of the stripes and decals, remove the gold badges and install new silver ones that are in the post from the US and then on Monday my new wheels are being delivered!!! :car::clap2:

Thanks for the update - looks good :)

Back