Why do people hold their phones weird these days?

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
Ever noticed when out walking in the precinct the amount of people holding phones very oddly, its like they are on that Sir Alan TV show the apprentice.

You see them listening to the edge of the phone and when they want to talk back they swing the phone back and talk into the mic. If only they invented something you can listen and talk to at the same time.

dabbsy-angle-1.jpg

dabbsy-angle-2.jpg

Has anyone else noticed this?

I was looking for photos of this, and done a search and found this article I borrowed the photos from.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/07/13/no_seriously_why_are_you_holding_your_phone_like_that/
He has some interesting photos further down of listening to stereo music. This will photos catch on with the generation of today.

I think it’s the same thing as Facebook. The need to be sharing everything with everyone.
As if it’s not bad enough that people can hear one side of a conversation we now get subjected to both sides!

Yeah, its not longer a private conversation, everyone can hear what they are talking about, and a lot of the time its stuff I wouldn't even think was worth of picking up a phone to talk about.
I was behind a car sitting in traffic a few days ago. He had his phone below the rear view mirror stuck to the window. He was 'face-timing' a lady. I guess it was hands free, however his lack of concentration when the lights changed, and lack of lane discipline makes you wonder if the video phone call was the cause of it.

I’m sure that would be illegal but unless you had it recorded on a dash cam you recording it by any other means would also be illegal!!!

I’m seriously considering disconnecting.
No smart phone, no smart watch.
Just a laptop secured tight and an old style phone capable of nothing but phone calls and texts.
I just need to figure out a solution to navigation and music. Both of these I use my phone for and I want a technology solution for both that works with my car.

I just need to figure out a solution to navigation and music. Both of these I use my phone for and I want a technology solution for both that works with my car.
iPod. do they still make them? could be a way to keep your current Apple music, and the iPod I seen many years ago, had no Wifi, just a 3.5mm jack to link to speakers, or your car if it has AUX IN.

iPod touch has iPhone like screen and stores all the music I could ever want and has apple maps.
Unfortunately it is not compatible with Apple CarPlay. So I’m either back to an atlas for nav or searching for another tech solution.
That solution could be an iPhone without a sim of course.....

Ever noticed when out walking in the precinct the amount of people holding phones very oddly, its like they are on that Sir Alan TV show the apprentice.

You see them listening to the edge of the phone and when they want to talk back they swing the phone back and talk into the mic. If only they invented something you can listen and talk to at the same time.

View attachment 158677

View attachment 158678

Has anyone else noticed this?

I was looking for photos of this, and done a search and found this article I borrowed the photos from.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/07/13/no_seriously_why_are_you_holding_your_phone_like_that/
He has some interesting photos further down of listening to stereo music. This will photos catch on with the generation of today.
Yes, this is strange.
What I find just as irritating is when people take video while holding their phone vertically!
We've all seen the result... those bloody videos on YouTube that make you feel like you're watching them through the gap in a door jam!

Back