Website down 7th April 2013

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
I woke up this morning to over 99 emails on my phone from the website saying it was experience problems, the first email was at 2am, and it was every few mins after that, I got up before 8am, and powered up the latop. There was over 500 emails, and still coming in.
When I tried the renegades website, the forum appeared to work, but the content page, or the media section didn't work. I tried logging in to the VPS server, but it wouldn't let me in. So I went in through SSH
Rebooted Plesk
~#/etc/init.d/psa stop
~# /etc/init.d/psa start
I still couldn't get in. As only part of the website was working, I wondered if it was also something to do with the MySQL database server, so I restarted that too.
~#/etc/init.d/mysqld restart
it stopped, but didnt start again.

So I contacted technical support for the new server, with in a few seconds someone was there to help.
Turns out that I have used 15Gb of disk space. I said the website is around 3Gb, although there are two copies. It looks like the backup was being performed on the same server not onto the remote server I purchased. So that was where the space was going.

So it was basically a mis-configuration on my part. Should be all okay now. I still have the old server running, so can switch back to that if this one gives issues.

Dan.

Well the next thing was to get the real backup going, there needed to be a backup agent installed on the server. I ran some checks and it appears to be partially installed. So I contacted support, who updated the driver and performed a reboot. They then ran into issues and the website was offline for a couple of hours.
Well not the website is back, and backup seems to be functional. It takes just 6mins at 1am to backup the entire website. :)

Back