Trans Am 5.7 V8 Formula for sale - Southampton

Nice car though it's a Formula not a Transam, however Formulas are rarer and have all the power of the Transam but without all the extra bits hanging off it the Formula is a touch faster. Also if that's interesting then I'm selling my Formula for £6900 and mine is a convertible, and it's also bright red and in Southampton.
Very sorry for hijacking your thread, I bow my head in shame.

Very tidy for a 26 year old car.

Nice car though it's a Formula not a Transam, however Formulas are rarer and have all the power of the Transam but without all the extra bits hanging off it the Formula is a touch faster. Also if that's interesting then I'm selling my Formula for £6900 and mine is a convertible, and it's also bright red and in Southampton.
When I saw the advert , at first I thought of yours, and then saw this was t-top. Good luck with your sales, hope you and family are keeping well.

Pictures taken on Weston Shore unless I'm very much mistaken..... ?

Hi Dan,thank you and yes we are all okay. Although my fences weren't too keen on the high winds, and there's another one this weekend so I may end up with an open plan back garden.

OK, for a mere Camaro owner what's the difference between a Formula Firebird and a Trans Am? Both look pretty cool to me!

Mostly cosmetic. The differences vary between the generations but typically the Formula didn’t have the body kit, had a less plush interior and IIRC didn’t benefit from the improved suspension (typically the T/A’s had different roll bars and slightly shorter springs).
2nd generations in particular benefitted from the development work legendary suspension guru Herb Adams did. Herb even had a few of his cars called Fire-am’s. Herb didn’t like stiff springs preferring to let the suspension work but used big (but balanced front to rear) roll bars.

Just been scrolling through the various ads again and found this TA for sale in a dealership in Southampton. May be of interest.

Thanks for posting (y). Whatever the trim spec, that's not bad money at all for a RWD V8 Yank! I reckon Pontiac will become a particularly sought after brand since GM ended it. If that were manual I would be worryingly tempted lol

Thanks for posting (y). Whatever the trim spec, that's not bad money at all for a RWD V8 Yank! I reckon Pontiac will become a particularly sought after brand since GM ended it. If that were manual I would be worryingly tempted lol

Funny isn’t it? After years of hustling 6 speed manuals behind a big V8 i’d had enough. It was one of the driving factors behind me selling the ‘09 Challenger SRT8 and buying the ‘18 Scatpack.... I wanted the auto!
I guess if I’d spent equally long with autos it might have been reversed? But I can’t imagine now. That 8 speed auto is just so good.

Funny isn’t it? After years of hustling 6 speed manuals behind a big V8 i’d had enough. It was one of the driving factors behind me selling the ‘09 Challenger SRT8 and buying the ‘18 Scatpack.... I wanted the auto!
I guess if I’d spent equally long with autos it might have been reversed? But I can’t imagine now. That 8 speed auto is just so good.
Yeah, it's whatever we're all happier with I guess. In my daily driver I am probably slightly more for an auto, just easier in slow moving traffic...and I drive that loads more obviously. But for my "fun" car it's gotta be manual. I've always felt more connected with the drive train somehow. And I'm sure it's nothing to do with dropping the clutch and lighting up the tyres lol :giggle:
But I get ya, some of the modern auto and semi auto transmissions are amazing.

Last edited:
Manual for a drivers car. Although autos are faster these days with their quick gear changes, I still prefer manual. Americans prefer manuals as they seem to have a lot more traffic and like the laziness factor of just having a stop and go pedal.
See a few BMW M5's around, nice sounding V8 and then you hear the auto gear change, and then think that sounds utterly rubbish. One solid tone to another.
Always had manual cars and I'm sticking that way probably until I'm 70 or my knees go before then.

You need to experience a modern auto before you decide. The modern auto is so fast and responsive it helps exploit the torque curve to suit any situation. And with Manual control either via the shifter or paddle shifters you get to play as well.
I was also a hard core manual guy, and then I experienced a modern auto. There is just no comparison to the slush boxes of before.

You need to experience a modern auto before you decide. The modern auto is so fast and responsive it helps exploit the torque curve to suit any situation. And with Manual control either via the shifter or paddle shifters you get to play as well.
I was also a hard core manual guy, and then I experienced a modern auto. There is just no comparison to the slush boxes of before.
I drove a 3.2 Audi TT a while back. That had a flappy paddle gear change and dual clutch if I recall. It was quick as f##k, very smooth and you could keep your foot on the floor through the gears. I don't think that would let you suddenly engage drive at RPM if you wanted to break traction to spin the wheels like you can with a clutch though. Although,that was a few years ago. Maybe you can do that with the latest auto boxes?

I think it very much depends on your preference and how you want to drive. I admit my two are very complimentary, the Beetle is much more involved to drive with the big engine and racing box, whereas the auto Camaro is more relaxed so they compliment each other quite well. As a daily driver? Having had both in a variety of cars and for the driving I do I would say manual.

I don't think that would let you suddenly engage drive at RPM if you wanted to break traction to spin the wheels like you can with a clutch though. Although,that was a few years ago. Maybe you can do that with the latest auto boxes?

No need for it with the big V8. I broke traction with a 35mph rolling start in eco mode last year doing an overtake. And the traction control was on!!!!

I have traction control in 3 modes;
Lots of tc but it can still be over powered as I found out.
Much less tc, allows lots of fun!
Off. You had better be good!!

No need for it with the big V8. I broke traction with a 35mph rolling start in eco mode last year doing an overtake. And the traction control was on!!!!

I have traction control in 3 modes;
Lots of tc but it can still be over powered as I found out.
Much less tc, allows lots of fun!
Off. You had better be good!!
Excellent! That's what I like to hear! (y)

Back