The Legal Info On Car Horns.

sarah

Club Photographer
There has been an article flying around the internet about a couple who were pulled over, fined, and due in court for sounding the 'dixie' horn on a replica General Lee. They were on their way to their wedding reception!

With a lot of horns being sounded from some Dayvans on our Southsea Cruises, I thought I'd use this as an opportunity to repeat the fact that you are not allowed, by law, to sound these sort of horns!!

- Car horns are not to be sounded between the hours of 2330 and 0700.
- Vehicles are only allowed to use single tone horns or twin tone horns that sound at the same time.

Any vehicles not following these two rules can/will be punished with points, fines and even court hearings.

The single/twin horn law was brought in on August 1st 1973 so I presume any vehicle older than that will be able to use other horns but I can't be sure.

So I cannot stress enough, as we have in the past, to please not sound these horns!! Don't get me wrong, I think they're cool, but it's not worth the trouble that will come your way!!

Full article :Wedding driver to face court for sounding 'Dixie Land' horn as he carried newlyweds (From Bournemouth Echo)

Last edited:
Totally agree with all of the above Sarah. Its not just burnouts that can close the cruise but also the noisy horns. Hearing it once i can deal with but when you are stuck behind someone that blasts their horn at every person stood on the side of the street can become very annoying so i dread to think what it is like for the residents that live there.

You know who you are!!!!!. DON'T BLOW IT!!!!!

There has been an article flying around the internet about a couple who were pulled over, fined, and due in court for sounding the 'dixie' horn on a replica General Lee. They were on their way to their wedding reception!

The single/twin horn law was brought in on August 1st 1973 so I presume any vehicle older than that will be able to use other horns but I can't be sure.

I've not read the article you linked but, given a General Lee replica should be a 1969 I'm assuming it was after the watershed hours?

Nope it was during the day, after the couple's ceremony.

Turns out it's the horn fitment that's being questioned.

Last edited:
Obviously no sense of humour then by those cops :(

So all these mobile food wagons that travel around the industrial estate blasting there horns are breaking the law then ??

Funny I mentioned that too. There used to be a van in Swindon when I worked here, that had the Dixie horns - wonder if they have been stopped!

used to be a van in Swindon
Maybe he got a good telling off, and found it wasn't worth carrying on with the business. There does seem to be less food van around now, certainly at work,use to be two that came round, now neither does.

Maybe - I haven't worked in Swindon for a while so not sure if still around

What about Ice Cream vans?

Back