The flying banana

AmericanThunder

Super Moderator
This 76 Trans-Am, known as the flying banana, is back up for sale. I haven’t seen this car in a few years and it’s certainly up for a lot more money than when I last saw it.

Price does seem a bit high. It seems owners don't like driving it. If I owned it I'd certainly put some miles on it. Every mile would have a smile.

40k wow crazy money

40k wow crazy money

Agreed. It may be a 455 car but the only 455’s worth having are the SD & HO only which means 73 & 74 (IIRC). The 455 in 76 was pulled straight from the full size cars and was rated barely higher than the 400. Hardly desirable, although the 4 speed is rare.
I did try and buy this car a few years ago but missed the opportunity and now it’s priced like it’s gold plated I won’t bother trying again.

Crikey! That is too much money. And in yellow too! 🙁 I've always thought that version looks best in red.
And 77's to 81's in Black.

Last edited:
And 77's to 81's in Black. Wash your mouth out Will, they look good in red as well
Hooper would agree with that lol,,,,

Not much write up in there advert must be hoping the car sells itself????????

This one is just as over priced
Wow, just £5 short of £50k in the window. Must have been signed by Burt for that price.

Wow, just £5 short of £50k in the window. Must have been signed by Burt for that price.
This one is just as over priced

Oldcott motors like to overprice on their classics. Neither car is worth anything like that, not here or anywhere!
If it was a 69-73 in factory original restored condition I could see paying around that.
They will have both cars for a long time at those prices. You could import cheaper.

It’s a bit like this one. 2 years ago he wanted £10000 and we looked at each other in disbelief and promptly forgot it.
It had been for sale for ages then. Now it’s been for sale even longer with no takers so it’s now worth £20000??

Wow thay is pricey. What is the real assoiciation with McLaren? did a standard car go there and get souped up? Much like the Vauxhall Carlton been touched by Lotus, the Lotus Carltons are worth loads now. https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/classic-cars/104937/lotus-carlton-buying-guide-and-review-1990-1992, a Carlton over £50k.

This Lotus Carlton is looking to fetch 120k,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1991-Lot...279846?hash=item5da102e466:g:fb8AAOSwuAVcrLSW

I guess the GrandPrix is collectable which commands the value.
Its a odd mix though, an American car touch by a UK racing team. Which side of the water would collect it? Unlike the Lotus Carlton, UK car, touched by a UK racing team, rare and the price just keeps going up.

Last edited:
I guess the GrandPrix is collectable which commands the value.

Agreed and desirable to the right person as opposed to the 91GP in the other thread.
The comparison with a Lotus Carlton I feel is a little off as the LC was a super car killer back then and still holds its own today. This car more of the GTi version and I would compare it as such. Just my opinion as ever.

Back