Stereo Typing

AmericanThunder

Super Moderator
I had a meeting with some of the engineering team this morning and after we had discussed everything we had too, one of the started talking about the collage on my wall which shows various American cars I’ve owned.
The conversation turned to when I took my 2009 Challenger into work one day when the dealership needed to keep the company car in for a recall.
They both said their jaws hit the floor when they saw me climb out, it was such a a contradiction to what they knew of me ie the smart business suited IT guy who drives an electric car, uses all the IT gadgets and runs a busy department!
I quite liked that, who I am at work has to be professional and that is reflected in my dress and demeanour and is in many ways opposite to the way I am outside of work. Definitely helped by that fact that I do keep my personal and work life very separate, and no-one knows much about me.
Definitely amused me by their reaction though.
Are you a Jekyll and Hyde?

I do need a sticker on the Kia to say my other car is a T/A. Peope dont beleive I can have an economical car and one that makes fumes. One is for work, one is for playtime.

Yes a car does give a perceprion to people, I agree.

I know what you mean, people do tend to stereotype don't they.
I wouldn't call myself Jekyll or Hyde, but I have seen few surprised expressions when I say I am into American cars, particularly when they enquire further and I mention the Firebird. I usually identify it to them by saying it's the same type of car as Knightrider ...then they know! lol.
Actually I am often surprised to learn what other hobbies people have and... how many closet petrolheads there are around.

When my daily was in the garage last year I used the Camaro for work for a while. There was some consternation amongst the genteel folk of the South Downs when the local authority historic buildings officer turned up for meetings in a 25 year old American pony car and a Solent Renegades baseball cap. By the same token I went for a meeting just yesterday with an agent acting for the new purchasers of a really expensive old building near Twyford who turned up in a 2010 Lincoln Navigator.

I turned up to a meeting at BT in Ipswich in the 2 year old TransAm many engineers came out of the offices to take a look. They probably thought I was making loads of money from that job.
Which then got me thinking if a salesman turns up at your work in an expensive car then it shows how much profit they are making from their customers and is that really someone you want to buy from? Really you want someone who is doing you a good deal and not mugging you off and flashing it in your face.

Back