SBC V8 Vortec Head

Darren

Core Member
Anyone know if there are any Small Block Chevy V8 Vortec head going anywhere? They're usually on trucks or vans made between 1996 and 2000. Vortech heads will be either casting number 12558062 or 10239906, will have an 8 bolt arrangement for the intake manifold (compared to the regular 12 on an older Chevy head), and the rocker cover is held on by 4 centrally mounted bolts as opposed to 4 bolts on the outer flange.

Last edited:
Have you found one then?
Does it flow a bit better than your current set up? will you go for the same compression or a little more with changing the head gasket thickness?

They flow load better and have about 10cc smaller combustion chambers, so I'd need about a 6mm thick gasket on the car to make that sort of improvement. They actually flow better than the fuelie heads that everyone raves on about.

My plans have changed now and I'll be getting some new aluminium heads that flow easily as good as the vortecs :) However, the cost of it all keeps going up and up and up lol

lol. I know the feeling, once you start a shopping list it just gets longer.
Some heads have some impressive flow numbers. Are you changing the cam at the same time?
I went for smaller CC chambers too. which up'ed the compression to 10.78 from 10.32, not a lot, but with the fuel we have in the UK it doesn't seem to pink as much as people find in the states.

Yeah, the cam is getting changed. To be honest, it's seeming like everything except for the block and pistons are getting changed. Here's the list ...so far (what I can remember)

• K&N X-Stream air filter
  • Air gap style, dual plane intake manifold - probably and Edelbrock RPM
  • RHS ProAction heads - Built with 4 grind COMPCams valves, COMPCams springs
  • Hooker Competition Darkside ceramic coated headers
  • COMPCams Ultra Pro Magnum roller rockers
  • rocker covers, everyone will just have to wait and see ;)
  • COMPCams pushrods
  • COMPCams flat hydraulic lifters
  • COMPCams Xtreme Energy 268 profile
  • COMPCams adjustable timing gear set
  • Fluidampr viscous harmonic balancer
  • Moroso Street/Strip oil pan
  • Uprated oil pump

I'm sure there's more on my spreadsheet at home too.

:becky:we need pictures threads useless with out pictures :whistle::thumb:

I've seen valve covers transparent before. dont know how long it would take for they to get scratch by any thing in the oil (shouldn't be anything) but you will get fine dust like metal. The transparent covers do look nice, you can see the oil squirting up, and the rockers moving. Now i haven't seen them with LED's in there, but I would imagine it would look awesome with engraved covers. Just a thought.

Bet it will have some gothic engraving on it ????????????????????:thumbup1:

I have a fluid dampener. not installed it yet. Almost got it on, but it fouled on the oil pump, have to get a hydraulic puller to get it off. Then CNC machined for clearance, but not got around to putting it back on.
They do seem like a good bit of kit from when I read up on them before the purchase.

Are the oil pumps external on the LS-1 then? Didn't realise that.
The pump sites behind a sealed plated, the pump is on the crank shaft. The casing of the high performance pump fouled on the pulley wheel as it slid on.IMAGE016.jpg
The pump shown on the crank.
Hopefully it will be okay now if I ever get around to putting this pulley wheel on. The worrying part is if it jams I have to find someone with a hydraulic puller.

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to get a balancer puller too, though I'm sure I can use a cheaper bolt on jobby.
I got the old one off using a cheap 3 pronged job. The original pulley wasn't as tight as the new pulley I was trying to put on. So you will probably find one of these would be find to get yours off. Not sure where mine is, or even if its intact still.