Rear main oil seal 2.8CRD Jeep

Jumbot

Found out why the Jeep I bought was so Cheap........................... Its leaving its mark everywhere like a sex crazed Terrier!! So, any one recommend a Garage in the Southampton area that would do the REAR MAIN SEAL and get it right? Apart from the leak and the gearbox 4X4 selector being incredibly stiff due to lack of use the rest of the Car is very much ok

Can you buy the seals and do your self parts cheap enough from rockauto.

Can you buy the seals and do your self parts cheap enough from rockauto.

Yes, I'm a Marine Engineer retired, no problem.............................................BUT there is always a But, I had a liver transplant in March 2014, now have lymphedema in left arm and both legs, my right arm has muscle wastage and I have severe osteoporosis due to taking steroids for the last 20 odd years to help control the liver problem, and I am not a drinker, I can still annoy people so that's one good thing LOL I could ask my Nipper to do it but he would have to either take the engine out or gearbox off, taking the engine out may be favorable as the timing belt and pesky water pump could also be done, but he works 6 days a week and has a young family, I would rather give it to someone recommended with the proper equipment and a ramp and tell them to get on with it.

Thats not a good enough reason lol.....

Sure someone wil be along to advise or mybe not only a few of us post on shame really. Hope you get it sorted.

Thats not a good enough reason lol.....

Sure someone will be along to advise or maybe not only a few of us post on shame really. Hope you get it sorted.

Thank you, yes Forums have fallen to the Banter of Facebook, I'm on a couple of Land Rover Forums Banished to the Naughty Corner on one as I bought a Jeep LOL, but I'm an Admin on one so I was expecting some stick!! Its a shame as most forums have a wealth of information stored and very knowledgeable members, and along came FB

Facetube not on never wil as you say forums welth of info and back in the day alot of banter. . any of your landy chaps help you with your problem?

Did you get any joy finding anybody?

Did you get any joy finding anybody?

Everyone has decided to run and hide, looks like a case of me helping people then when I need a job doing everyone goes deaf, as the timing belt and water pump need doing I am thinking of lifting the engine out my nipper is very handy with the spanners, I can install the confidence required, I've bought a genuine 3 part seal, no Micky mouse stuff.

To far to use them ramp in wales . father son bonding working on car together drive you apart with the tools flying and each other learning new swear words. Lol. If you can post pictures

Right, playtime has started, Drove from Southampton to Newport South Wales to pick up a second hand engine working on the idea mine has done 163k and is tired, this one has only done 92k and for what its worth Guaranteed........................... we shall see, as its out I have taken the opportunity to replace the timing belt with the auxiliary rollers and tensioner, and the waterpump, I have done one before on a 2.5 Chrysler Voyager, so knew the back timing plate had to come off to get the water pump out, so much easier to do it out of the car, as I have already bought the rear oil seal I will also change that, never done one before so it will be interesting to find out where the O rings go. (The little piece of Metal is a tool I made for jamming the cam wheels so the timing pegs don't take the full force of undoing the bolts)

Will be selling the engine out of mine as the head is in good condition, no nasty noises etc. 57238853_2234452773488506_3285060037617123328_n.jpg57213867_1047646868957702_5723237075189235712_n.jpg58373001_825079747858173_1145559509754707968_n.jpg57536254_2301861803423198_648481452572278784_n.jpg57246959_881354628863348_1294526224168648704_n.jpg58441980_467610490684400_9041727368711897088_n.jpg

Fair play to you engine swop and repairs to engine of car well done with pictures keep thread updated

Long over due update,

Original engine was breathing heavy and had other issues, surprisingly it ran well and had plenty of power, I will be selling it on E Bay just for the head and cam carrier as that is very good, if the rear seal was done someone would have a very high mileage but capable engine. I have picked up a low mileage engine from a South Wales Breaker nice trip up in the Jeep, found although the lever indicates I'm in 2 wheel drive I am in fact in 4 wheel drive, think the stiff lever needs sorting!! but returned 36mpg

the JEEP has taken route in my daughters drive, the quick engine change has turned into an EP 1 C I got the replacement engine to my back garden at home and spent three days doing what an able bodied person could of done in a day, rear oil seal removed as its an Italian engine I was expecting some peculiar engineering, and boy did I find it, the rear oil seal is held in an aluminum casing held to the back of the engine with six bolts, on removing the bolts and reusing two to help pull the unit from the engine I find it also carries the thrust washers and main bearing shells, quite impressive!! well over engineered, now I see why some derivatives of the London Taxi use the engine. I also replaced the water pump as its driven by the timing belt, and all its idlers etc, only on removing the old engine did I discover the engine has a second water pump, this presumably helps deliver the water from the EGR cooler to the interior heater very quickly, hence why I thought we had a problem as the heater was getting very warm very quickly, that problem solved as a non problem!!

I had noticed when I picked the engine up from the Dismantlers, (Posh name for a south of wales scrap yard in the middle of no where) that the injectors had been removed, not to happy with this as god knows what could have fallen in.......................................... this concern cam back to haunt me, whilst replacing the Timing belt you are supposed to pin the engine, well the VM pin locations are set so the pistons are equally up and down, ie mid center, this covers any inadvertently bending any of the 16 valves, I did not have the torque plate, (Flywheel for manuals) so I could not pin the Flywheel, so I made my own marks on the front pulley after removing the Crank shaft sensor to make sure the cams were not 180d out, the wife wondered what all the faffing was about!! all done belt back on nice new shiney water pump I turned the engine over, it stopped just shy of TDC on No1 and 4 ok I hear you saying if 1 is at TDC then 4 will be well people one is on the exhaust stroke so na na na, see how this is affecting me?

Take engine to my daughters, remove old engine, needed the flywheel to recheck timing marks, just in case I had stuffed up. Nice to say my timing was spot on!!

So today off with its head, had to wait for the ok of the scrap yard, as I will be claiming I have to play by their rules, this involved pinning the timing marks yet again, also needed some muscle to lift off the cam carrier and the head, both alloy and quite heavy, again the cam carrier massively over engineered, the head seemed simple until I saw 16 hydraulic tappets with followers nicely balanced looking back at me. Apparently they can be troublesome when refitting, we shall see. Found some of the crud that was round No4 injector had fallen inside, been compressed and wasn't allowing the piston to complete its turn, if that had fallen into the Ignitor/swirl hole in the piston and got thrown out but caught by a valve the outcome could of been very expensive!! Have ordered up the Parts for the engine as I'm going to need them, hopefully will be ok with the Head gasket multi layered steel,a set of stretch bolts, WHY?? what idiot thought of them? and a Cam carrier gasket.

60152418_435292103929212_6446116127356485632_n.jpg59948850_389247535005410_3016042789642174464_n.jpg59800245_385128912095143_2282113946263486464_n.jpg59978192_1251426581692584_4329696818167283712_n.jpg

Last edited:
Fun and games then south wales where?????. Any more pictures ? So eta of parts then rebuild then reinstall back in

You have been busy. Nice right up.
Good catch on the debris.
On my first ever tear-down I mis-aligned a starter shim and couldn’t turn the engine a full 360deg. Panicked a novice doing his first heads and cam swap on a V8.

Have ordered the gaskets, a VM dealer in Lancashire, very good prices, for the Head gasket, cam cover gasket and head bolts so its stalled till they arrive.

Right, this could bet a bit long winded, the engine as left on my last post was awaiting Gaskets and head bolts, these had failed to be posted, so lost over a week waiting for some clown to realise that they had sold them so best post, I with my Son in Law had taken the opportunity to clean up the head faces and lap all 16 valves in, the job was made easier through the use of a battery powered drill and virtually no marks on the valve seats, refitted with new oil seals, the engine we decided due to weight and virtual impossibility to get to the two upper bell housing bolts was fitted bottom half only, this made the job a little more bearable, I kept the timing pin in the flex plate as I could find no reliable information if the liners were wet or dry, I was not taking the chance of them moving!! This made the alignment and fitting of the flex plate to torque converter bolts a little harder as we had to wait to fit the head, but was well worth it, on fitting the head do not forget the EGR pipe mounting on the back, we did and the clamp could in no way be fitted, hey ho, lets hope that doesn't come back to bite when it fractures due to vibration!! You will have to appreciate all the work has to be done in about 1 1/2 hour slots every day due to the pain I am in, its not something you can put your big boys pants on and ignore, nore is the frustration of having the strength of a baby!! People helping and in fact doing the work I owe a great dept for their help and patience.

The gaskets arrive, the old gasket had the holes missing (the metal had corroded away) where it would of given you a clue to its thickness, so we plumpt for a 2 hole gasket, torqued it down, SO SIMPLE THOSE FEW WORDS, 'TORQUED IT DOWN' my god on the holies of holies who in a drug induced coma thought of degree tightening, yes I realise you have to get the metal bolts into a state of plastic elasticity, but some one please tell me whats wrong with using a torque wrench? (I think a whole new post could be dedicated to that subject) we took the timing pin out and turned it over, no lumps bumps or bangs, so were good there, took the opportunity to refit the four flex plate bolts, how can co much torque be transferred through such little bolts? right we learnt not to get to complacent as this engine bites if you dare to relax!! we refitted all 16 hydraulic tappets with their fingers, that design must have looked brilliant on paper, I can see some Italian singing his head off as he thought of it, and the people trying to put together his jigsaw wanting his head!! 6 times the cam carrier was offered up, five times one or two of the fingers fell off, (on you tube there is a chap using a sheet of sheet steel in between the fingers and cam carrier, pulling the sheet out like a magician with a table cloth) we finally got them under control, the mood was extremely heavy and quiet, until the last bolt was done up and no gaps, phew!! now you set to fitting everything as the book says its a simple matter of reversing the process!! Bugger is it. (EXCEPT THERE IS NOT A BOOK I CAN FIND ON THIS ENGINE YOU GAIN SNIPPETS ACROSS THE NET) we did find the water system a little complex, finding the second water pump was a surprise, but the piping that went with it well..........................on to the injectors, as the engine came without, causing the above problem we set to to try to get ours out, first thing clean the area methodically, not having an airline to hand we adapted a hoover with a piece of fuel pipe strapped to the end of the hose, this enabled us to remove sand, yes SAND the whole top of the engine was one mass of sand, the only conclusion we could come to that A/ someone has let their kids burry the Jeep on a beach, ooorrrrrrrr B/ its been for a swim, neither options were favorable, would the injectors move let alone come out NO, time to introduce a bit of thinking and make up a hook affair that could be connected to a slide hammer, result out the little buggers came, we removed the rubber silicone? O rings cleaned them up, now up to now I had kept the new copper sealing washers for the injector seats in my wallet, I hand them to my Son who drops them into No1 and 2 with No3 being dropped never to be seen again into the open mouth of the exhaust pipe, not a word was said, we looked for the best of the old 4 found one and quickly put it into the correct orifice!! then we move on to the exhaust manifold and turbo, nice and straight fwds? Oh NO this on really tried the patience of all there, the supply oil pipe would not go where you needed it, due to the waisgate rod, now we had a flight of inspiration decided to remove the pipe from the oil gantry fit it to the turbo then fit the unit as one, remember me saying this refit had a habit of biting back? this was just such an occasion, there was no way without having some serious surgery performed on your hands would you be able to reach this fitting to even try to do it up, plan 2, tie a piecs of wire through the banjo hole after refitting the supply pipe back to the oil gantry and physically pull like hell to persuade it to bend and convort through to where you wanted it, job done!! having wrestled the wiring loom back over the top of the engine, trying to remember if it were the Water pipes or wires closest to the engine etc etc, onto the Rads, Water Intercooler by gumm that's a big one, air con and finally power steering, who hoo, all in, I will take this opportunity to say please remember where all the fixings came from, we even took pictures and got it wrong, then it was a simple matter of refitting the headlights grill and bumper, all of which were a bloody nightmare!! onto the Fuel Filter, I had noticed on removal that most of the fuel pipe was severely perished, so we bought new and renewed, we also renewed a fair bit of the heater water piping as the alloy piping had almost worn through by being wrongly fitted, fresh oil, oil filter, primed the system and tried to start, the filter head has a quaint little pump in it, very old school, but it worked, well it would try to start and fail, to cut a very long story short we found the bottom O ring between the clear inspection and the fuel filter was too thin, refitted the old chunky one and bingo, after priming yet again she started and staid running, sounds bloody good as well, one slight water leak where a hose clamp had failed to be tightened, I think that was my fault!!

If any one wants a Cam Carrier and Head off the old engine please message me, you will also require patience complete loss of your sanity and if married a divorce, if you just want to do the rear main oil seal and use the engine as is please message me £300 in any form its yours you take the lot.

THE END

Wow, great progress and great write up.

Having had a day off yesterday and a nice family meal, and using the Jeep as a Taxi I thought I would put a few pics up as people seem to make better judgements if they can also see whats going on, I will say it was a real struggle trying to work scrupulously clean whilst working out the back of a trailer, it was also a bit of a problem removing the engine from the trailer as it had tried to hatch whilst being transported!! I was able to remove the complete water pump assembly and refit as the engine was out, a total impossibility with the engine in situ, it took quite a few turns and adjustment to get the timing pointer in the correct place, pic shows it in its prefered but incorrect position!! My Son on top of the engine and my Son in Law under it, well he is small and fitted, didn't move fast enough though when the engine slipped away from the bell housing, he got covered with quite a bit of oil from the leaking rear main seal!!

Its now done about 50 miles, to be very critical there is a minor tap do not know where from, sounds like an injector, time will tell, the water system which I thought may be a bugger to bleed self bled with no problems, we did find the heater control from Cold to Hot does nothing, so I believe the flap may be stuck, also no blower on setting 1 and 2 so I emagine a resistor pack? I still have the 2, 4 or permanent 4 wheel drive selector to sort as I believe its stuck in 4 high, the brakes although new discs and pads fitted all round seem to be very spongy, and the hand break being shoes inside the rear drum on the discs doesn't even try to work, so the lot was either fitted by a novice or a Garage that should not be trading!! Removing the front bumper, Jeep use some peculiar expandable plastic clips that have to be squashed together to remove, its an almost impossible job, also plastic pop rivets are used, how they are formed I have no idea, but they were replaced with wide head alloy pop rivets.

60342553_291922175074451_7384418262211100672_n.jpg57246959_881354628863348_1294526224168648704_n.jpg57536254_2301861803423198_648481452572278784_n.jpg59189000_346337129353993_2012230334665457664_n.jpg59796598_2116966945087937_3419389430471852032_n.jpg59334934_2339957189614915_4144436431806267392_n.jpg60408519_1548625151940637_653005693812473856_n.jpg60084786_2678742405531354_8864092104079441920_n.jpg59987213_447836515782984_231125770884349952_n.jpg

Due to me not being fully in control of some of the work I made the bad judgement to refit the injectors without fully inspecting the seats, I had cleaned the holes for the injectors, BUT I got bit, found out why No4 was full of crud all round the upper part of the injector when it was removed, which caused a lot of extra work, the copper washer could not of been sealing on what was left of the Alloy seating of the head, see pics, I borrowed a cutting tool and did a light cut of the seats which revealed what you can see, well I got my Son involved as I don't have enough strength to push the cutter in, meanwhile the injectors were off being serviced, OUCH!! that hurt, the thought was they were the originals which had done 164000 so all I got back was the shell, all I lost was another lot of money!!! so its all back together, and seems to be running well, we wait to see, long trip to Manchester coming up to see the Inlaws, if it makes that without the big yellow taxi I will be happy!! For now lesson learnt, check everything.61371826_445683829591826_6062131383780769792_n.jpg61424573_322274171801768_6916292175844081664_n.jpg61535720_815295432175668_2470150479225552896_n.jpg61726660_2062137737421226_9125721574513573888_n.jpg

Back