Oil advice and Recommendation

Oilman

If you would like any oil advice or a recommendation for your car please feel free to ask here and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

To help us to give the most accurate advice possible we do need some information about your car. e.g:

Make:
Model:
Year:
Engine type:
Performance modifications:
Driving style: (road / off-road / track etc)
Any other information that may be relevant: e.g. approx BHP if modified, oil temps if known
What recommendation are you looking for? Engine, Gearbox, Diff etc.

Any oil we recommend is available to buy from us (if you would like to) for delivery throughout the UK and many destinations in Europe. We offer a really extensive range of oils and lubricants from 11 major oil manufacturers at prices much lower than the high street and main dealers. We stock oils and fluids that meet pretty much all manufacturers and international specifications. Our brands include, Silkolene, Fuchs, Gulf, Castrol, Motul, Mobil, Millers Oils, Shell, Valvoline, Amsoil and Redline.

The good news is, now the Club is a member of our club discount scheme you can discounts of at least 10% across our entire range.

To redeem your 10% club discount simply use the following club discount code at the checkout.

SOLENTR

Once the code is added at the checkout you will then receive your extra 10% club discount. However this discount code cannot be used in conjunction with other offer codes, BUT the code can be used in conjunction with any of our offers on this page HERE that do not require offer codes.

Any questions please ask here or contact us via email at sales@opieoils.co.uk

Finally, if there are any products we don't stock and you have difficulty getting hold of elsewhere, let us know and we'll see if we can stock them.

We look forward to being of help!

Cheers
Guy, Opie Oils

You can also contact us by phone on +44 1209 202944
(All oils recommended are available to buy online at my web site)

Last edited:
I've used Opie oils for a while, way back when I had my Celica as they used to post on Celica-club.co.uk

Very helpful and a good service. I used to get the combo packs with an oil filter (can't remember the make, but they're used by F1 teams) and oil.

I've used Opie oils for a while, way back when I had my Celica as they used to post on Celica-club.co.uk

Very helpful and a good service. I used to get the combo packs with an oil filter (can't remember the make, but they're used by F1 teams) and oil.

By any chance was it UFI?

We have that back up and running on our website.

Cheers
Oilman

If you would like any oil advice or a recommendation for your car please feel free to ask here and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

I will be after some rear diff oil for the 2000 Pontiac Trans-Am, its the standard size diff, gears changed from 3.42 to 3.89 with Richmond gears, running and Eaton LSD. The diff looks like its has clutches. I have put in the correct weight oil before with the GM Limited Slip Diff additive. I'm going to open the diff for routine inspection so require more oil. What would you recommend?

Many Thanks Dan

Hi

The best option is a synthetic 75w-90, like the Silkolene Syn 5, Millers CRX NT LS, Motul Gear 300LS, Red Line 75w-90 GL5 or Gulf Competition LS. A SAE90 or 80w-90 mineral oil such as Shell TS90, Motul 90PA, Fuchs Race Gear 90LS or Gulf Gear LS 80w-90 is a good, cheaper alternative.

Limited Slip Diff Oil for you car and & Axle Oils from Opie Oils

Cheers

Tim

Thanks for the advice, thats great, just ordered 3 bottles of the Red Line 75w-90 GL5 from you. Thanks again, this advice section is certainly very useful.

Awesome stuff :becky:

I'm after engine oil for a 1991 Camaro, 3.1v6 and stock :)

Hi

I would use a 5w-30 oil

5w-30 car engine oil | 5w30 oil

The best ones there are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300V, Mobil ESP, Castrol Edge, Shell Helix Ultra Extra, Millers XF, Fuchs GT1 and Red Line, but the Motul Eco-Energy, Mobil Super 3000, Shell Helix HX7 AF/AG and Fuchs XTR are good cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

By any chance was it UFI?

We have that back up and running on our website.

Cheers
Oilman
That rings a bell, pretty sure it was UFI.

What would you recommend for a 1973 Chevrolet Nova, 5.7 litre, stock except for performance headers, very free flowing exhaust, edelbrock performer intake manifold and a holley 4 barrel 600cfm carb? I used to use Gulf Competition (5 or 10/40 and 50), but am looking for something that will work well but costs a bit less.

Also, do you supply K&N filter elements for the 14" diameter air filters? I can double check the measurements, but I'm sure it's 14" diameter and 2 or 3" tall.

Hi

With Gulf Competition and similar oils, you aren't going to get something as good as that for less money, so you are looking at a step down in quality. If you want a thickish oil, Motul 6100 15w-50 is a decent one for the money. 10w-40 is a bit of a tricky grade, you either get top end synthetics (like the Gulf etc) or basic (ish) semi-synthetics, with not a lot in between. With 5w-40s, there are a fair few good oils for a decent price, like Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XF Longlife, Fuchs GT1 XTL/Supersyn, Gulf Formula G/ULE, Shell Helix and Mobil Super 3000.

Motul 6100 Synergie 15W-50 Gasoline and Diesel engine oil Technosynthese
5w-40 engine oil | 5w40 oil

Here is a look up by size for K&N filters.

K&N Universal Air Filter, Crankcase Vent Filter, Flame Arrestor, and Filter Wrap Search by Dimension

Cheers

Tim

What was your thought process behind this choice?
Well not so much of a thought process, but here it goes.
1. The numbers seemed similar to what I have read in the book.
2. I have heard of Redline (can't recall is it was positive or negative though)
3. I read the spec and it has the LSD stuff in it, so I don't have to by the GM friction modifier as a separate item
4. The reason for 3 bottles is that I heard 2 bottles should be enough, so didn't want to run out.

Would it be the wrong choice?

I thought the same, there was a lot of choice. I didn't want to go cheap, as its not often I change the diff oil, compared to engine oil. i wouldn't put the most expensive engine oil in, however the diff oil will probably be in there for 3 years or more if the back end doesn't pop. In the past I have brought the gear oil locally and popped in the GM friction modifier, that I used to buy off eBay, as this is all in one I thought I'd go for it, plus I wanted to buy something as we were getting a discount, lol. Funny how the minds logic works.

Not changed it yet. I think I may check the oil level first. If its low, then i think I will buy a set of seals and bearing for when I go in there, as I only want to go in there once. I will let you know how it goes. A taste test on the old stuff isn't pleasant and sticks to the back of your throat. Hopefully the new stuff is better.

redline and royal purple i have used both good

redline and royal purple i have used both good

I've never used either but I did come across something on another forum where RP are getting sued after their oil was used in a brand new engine, with catastrophic results - I don't know the details though.
Not come across anything bad on Redline but I'm just cautious about oil with in-built friction modifier - like Dan, I have only ever used an additional additive. Got another 2 months until I plan to buy though so I will keep researching.

Back