Off to the States picking up parts for the car.

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
Well as most of you know, the Trans-am isn't too well. Mother isn't too well either, so really had to get the Trans-am to her so she could hear it, it really makes her smile hearing the car. Knowing this would probably damage the Trans-am I went for it anyway.
Started a blog a while back, http://www.solent-renegades.co.uk/entries/57-new-ticking-noise-ta-sept-2016-a

Well its upper end parts I'm gonna need, and new pump. Anyway, got myself a list.

Think it covers most things. So should be ordering after lunch. Ready for shipping today to an address in the States.

Hope you booked a bigger plane to fly back in with that shopping list ??????

You sure about the push rod length? I'm not convinced that there isn't something going on beyond wear n' tear, and it isn't uncommon for modded LS engines to need a different length push rods.
Lot of money and effort for the problem to repeat....

Yeah I know what you mean that something seems to be wrong. I think oil or lack of caused a chain reaction. so I'm changing every replaceable top end part.
Will have to take photos and do another blog. I guess, pictures mean everything.

top end gasket set as well. new oil and filter. engine coolant blue red or orenge not sure what your car runs? might as well do stat as well.

oh and a fridge magnet as well please hint hint ...

All ordered.
1 x LS1 Scorpion Performance Pro Series Roller Rocker Arms - 1.7 (SCP1098) = $394.99
1 x AEM X-Series OBDII Wideband UEGO AFR Sensor Controller Gauge (30-0333) = $219.99
1 x LS1/LS2 Brian Tooley Racing Stage 4 Camshaft (BTR LS1/2 Stg IV) = $389.00
1 x Manley LS Series Chromemoly Pushrods 7.400" Stock LS *SALE* (25735-16) = $99.95
1 x LS1/LS2/LS3/LS6/LS7 Morel Hydraulic Roller Drop-In Lifters (5315) = $195.99
1 x LS Series Melling Oil Pump (High Pressure) (10295) = $123.95
1 x 98-02 LS1 GM LS2 Timing Chain (12586482) = $42.99
1 x 99-02 LS1 GM Oil Pressure Sender (19244505) = $51.99
4 x GM Performance LS2 Lifter Guide Trays (12595365) = $31.96
1 x 2002 LS1 GM MLS Head Gaskets (12498544) = $37.99

Shipped on a 3 day for free :)

Just thinking Dan. Are you running running thinner head gaskets than stock? Have the heads been decked? Does your cam have a smaller base circle than stock? Are you running stock lifters or solid or semi solid?

My current cam has a smaller base circle, my new one has a larger, well same as stock, 7.4" pushrods is stock, got stock thickness head gaskets. Heads are not stock, so will use the measure tool with new lifters and cam in. Even got a set of new rockers coming too.

If your current cam base circle is smaller than stock your pushrods are the wrong length!
If the new cam has the same base circle as stock then stock push rods will be fine.

My current Cam has smaller base circle, I have 7.425" at the moment rods.

I'm getting new rods, cam and lifters.

One package is on its way, it's being sent in 3. Should get the other tracking numbers soon.

I thought you were running stock length push rods at the moment? If you already have over length then you have compensated and I'll keep quiet!!!

I thought you were running stock length push rods at the moment? If you already have over length then you have compensated and I'll keep quiet!!!
Na, you are right to question it, with push rods too short would certainly create issues. Would be nice if that was it.
attachment.php

To be honest I think the pump is lacking pressure, and caused top end damage. I will take it all apart and examine all the things for wear. post lots of photos. I think I have brought all the bits that would need replacing. So at least it will be all fresh when it goes back together.

This is what the new cam will sound like on tick over. Well exhaust may be different, but same engine, and same cam :)
[video=youtube;Fck61nOJ5AA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fck61nOJ5AA[/video]

At the airport, boarding about 11:20, flight at 12. About a 10 hour flight, then a 4 hour wait till my next flight of 2 hours. Will be at the hotel by about 4am UK time.

All going good so far.

Charged up all my batteries. So all good. Seen a few people plugging in their iphones and ipads into the mains to top them up.

I have a USB charge lead with me, as apparently all seats in middle class has a charge point. :) I've gone up in the world, now middle class. lol

Day still going. Over an hour to wait till the next flight which is a 2 hour flight.

what's the air food like ?

I rarely eat on board aircraft. I eat before i board and then wait until I land. Awful food, especially if it's "gate gourmet". Yuck!

Back