New Mustang - panels don't fit properly?

TerryW

I wandered into a Ford garage to have a look at the new 2.3 and 5.0 Mustangs. The car looks great overall but the panels don't seem to fit very well. Especially, for a car that costs nearly 40 grand. I pointed out the fit of the sills (which are particularly obvious) to the sales dude. He showed me a few more panels that were misaligned or more accurately too small for the gap (2 -3 mm too small leaving a "lip"). He mentioned something about changes made for the UK market so it may not be an issue for an imported model. I'd be tempted if it were likely to get fixed; although maybe not at 40 grand. Anyone on here from Ford Motor Company know whether this obvious design flaw will be corrected

Interesting. I was wondering whether panels had been removed to do the lighting conversions and then re-fitted improperly?
I know when Chevrolet and Pontiac 'officially' imported a few 4th gens in the mid 90's they outsourced the lighting conversions IIRC which could lead to questionable work.
Don't know of course, just thinking aloud!

Interesting, doesn't sound good for a car of that value.

must.jpg

The panels seem to be cut wrong. If you look at the circled area on the two cars I saw you would notice that the door sill steps back. It is about 2mm too short.

Terry

Would be interesting to compare a US vs Euro spec side by side.
The only differences I can think of between the two are lighting and the position of the steering wheel and pedal box. I wonder if RHD cars are made that way or converted?

there are a couple of new mustangs in club mybe a few more pictures so they get a better idea and then they post up there findings ? just a thought

I'd love to hear what the new Mustang owners say. I am still drooling over a new red 5.0. . . .

I'd love to hear what the new Mustang owners say. I am still drooling over a new red 5.0. . . .

If you're drooling over one you should indulge yourself anyway. Life isn't a rehearsal, you are only here once. If you want one and have the means... do it!

Hi AT,

I totally agree. Life is too short. Now I just need to get my excuse ready for the wife.

Seriously though, I drive a BMW 120d 2012. It is really difficult to justify changing it. Really difficult. I'd like both cars really. One car to enjoy and one to use for the evil commute. It would be a good matching. The BMW is as near perfect as a car can get. Panels all fit, 56 mpg on a commute, goes like stink in "sports" mode and everything just keeps working. I've done 80,000 miles now. Servicing is unbelievably cheap if you don't use a main dealer because service intervals are incredibly long. £110 road tax and sub 200 insurance. It is not an exciting car to drive but it is very nice to spend hours commuting in. See the problem?

Last edited:
I do understand, but do you need a car for commuting that has the costs of the BMW associated with it?
Like you I spend along time in an ordinary car each day. My definition of ordinary from 2007 to 2016 was a Chevrolet Lacetti converted to LPG. I stopped using the main dealer after the last free service and started servicing it myself and the LPG conversion almost halved my fuel bill. I eventually traded the car when it hit 185000 miles and beyond tyres and brakes it hadn't cost me a penny. Ok, it's not flash or fast but it also wasn't expensive to buy or maintain and didn't owe me a penny even long before the trade in day. I replaced it with 2012 Kia Cee'd. Also an inexpensive car with cheap running costs that just does the daily grind and work horse duties expected of it.
I have taken this approach for years, a basic car for daily duties and put the money into something fun for the weekends. It's a compromise of course, but for me it means I can afford my 'nice' car and it's kept nice for when I can drive it. The other car, well who cares? It's just A to B at the end of the day, and it's makes the weekends that much more special.
It's no different to those trades who need a van, plumbers/builders etc, it's a work tool.
See my thread titled "hybrid comparison". Do I want to drive a hybrid or electric car? Of course not, but the money side side works and if the Kia was a year younger I would have kept it and opted out the company car.
BMW's are expensive to buy, expensive to run and have high maintenance costs. I know they also have high(er) residual value so sell it and use that to get something mundane that makes the Mustang even more special.

I agree entirely with your sentiments. I disagree a little with the conclusion that BMWs are always expensive to run. My baby-beemer (one series diesel) is dead cheap to run. Maybe not as cheap as an LPG convert though. It was expensive to buy (26 grand with all the bells and whistles in 2012) but tyres last well, services are very infrequent and it never seems to break.

I neglected to mention that I also run an American power boat that is sucking up all the spare cash and losing me all my "financial brownie points". This is a small 25 foot cabin cruiser with a Chevy 5.7 V8 engine. Now that is seriously fuel inefficient. It gets about 2-1/2 miles per gallon. It will take a little careful thought to formulate a good excuse for my 5.0L Mustang. I am starting to read-up on justifications . . .

It's not just fuel. At 56mpg on diesel you are equivalent pence per mile to the LPG car and about the same as the Kia. But, parts, tyres, insurance are all far more expensive and your road tax is 4 times that of the Kia. The point being is that there are cars that do A to B much cheaper than your BMW over the similar mileage.
The choice is yours. I can't afford to have my cake and eat it. If I could I would have a Jag as well as the Challenger but until then I would prefer the cheap and crappie daily with a nice weekend car over the other way around.
You pays your money and makes your choice!

I neglected to mention that I also run an American power boat that is sucking up all the spare cash and losing me all my "financial brownie points". This is a small 25 foot cabin cruiser with a Chevy 5.7 V8 engine. Now that is seriously fuel inefficient. It gets about 2-1/2 miles per gallon.

Yeah, but I bet it's fun?

It certainly is. I had to rebuild the top end of the engine due to a malfunction (2 cracked cylinder heads on a new engine - annoying) so I have spent ages rebuilding and refining the little V8. Great fun. It soaks the spare cash up though . . .

It certainly is. I had to rebuild the top end of the engine due to a malfunction (2 cracked cylinder heads on a new engine - annoying) so I have spent ages rebuilding and refining the little V8. Great fun. It soaks the spare cash up though . . .

Pictures of said boat? :)

And this is the real boat, snapped in Gosport just to prove that it does move. . .

P1020864.jpg

I just need a nice big engined American car to pull it around on a trailer (which I don't have).

in Wales which part enjoying the stormy weather this weekend ?

in Wales which part enjoying the stormy weather this weekend ?

My ancient mother-in-law lives in Barry South Glamorgan. And, yes it was plenty windy. Brrrrr. We go over every few weeks to enjoy the hospitality of the local pubs . . . .

Back