Need for Speed E3

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
A new release of this game is due in November. Certainly one i will be pre-ordering. I have some of the other Need for Speed's. Great game to speed and try to get away from cops without doing anyone else any harm. :bounce:
[video=youtube;hFUyTWQDYTo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hFUyTWQDYTo#![/video]

IMAG1433.jpg
The game arrived yesterday. Yay :) cant wait to play it. I do have a soft spot for car games. Best to take out my speeding and aggregation on the computer screen and not on the road. I need to take care of my car as it is getting older now, 12 years old, and still going strong.
I have most of the games in the Need for Speed category, this one is the latest version.

However my PS3 dosn't work. It has the blinking red light problem again.

So I took the works hair dryer home last night, set to 500deg C, and cooked more of the chips on the board. Put it back together and it came to life for about 10 seconds, and then the fands ramped up in speed and cut out.

This says to me that the heat sinking isn't intact on the the IC that is measuring the temperature.
IMAG1438.jpg
I cleaned off the heatsink, actually another stick on heatsink has moved into the two main ones, causing it not to seat properly. Once cleared and reapplied heatsink compound. Put it all back together. Powered up for 30 seconds and all working well.
I will try this when I get in tonight. :)

You're becoming quite the pro at fixing PS3's. Mine is starting to get noisy now; even doing pretty easy stuff like playing movies the fan seems to kick in at high speed after about 10 mins.

A lot of fluff builds up in the heatsink. Could be worth taking apart and brushing the fluff out. the heatsinks will more more efficient and then the fan wont be on as high.

Mine went again last night, Red blinking light. not as major as the Yellow light. It works until you have intense graphics running for a few mins. However the fans don't increase in speed to compensate. Perhaps hardware/heat issue. I've ordered another PS3 off eBay that dosn't work, ?29 including postage. I may be able to get it going with a quick fix. :) cheaper than buying a new one. Straight HDD swap.

I was toying with the idea of moving the PSU out of the box. It sits right on top of the HDD. I have my PS3 vertically standing to help with ventilation. I've got another one coming off eBay, its got the YLOD problem, but its cheap. I should be able to fix it, even if it lasts 6 months. I'll be happy. I should be able to swap the drives over. Hopefully by loging in as myself I can download previous things i have already downloaded.

If you're swapping the drives you should have everything downloaded already, even your PSN profiles, should be there.

Mine is horizontal, but it has about a 20mm air gap between the PS3 and the equipment below it. I was thinking about pulling it apart and drilling holes in the base plastic so that air can get in from underneath, though not having taken one apart before I don't know if this would have any effect or not? With the xbox, there's a metal cage under the plastic.