MS-12633

AmericanThunder

Super Moderator
The Scatpack is due it’s first oil change.
A read of the manual say the manufacturer recommends use Pennzoil 0w40 which conforms to MS-12633.
Now this oil is not readily available here and I plan to use Mobil 1 0w40. My guess is that recommendation is purely based on a tie-up between FCA and shell in an effort to make money.
I suspect that the Mobil 1 0w40 is just as good. The MS-12633 spec is based around oil for taxis (apparently). I am speculating it meets demands for high miles and infrequent change intervals.
Neither are something the Scat will see.
Any comments from anyone?

I should add, the only reason I’m even questioning myself over this is the cylinder deactivation technology.
Otherwise I would say stuff the FCA, (the manufacturer’s warranty is void anyway as it’s outside the US/Canada) and just use Mobil 1.

Think I’m sticking with Mobil 1. The more I read about the FCA and Castrol falling out and how Fiat have a contract with Pennzoil I’m convinced it’s marketing and money.
Without a warranty to void and 2L of Mobil 1 already in stock from the previous Challenger I’m sticking with it.

Good call. Its not as if you need additives like a GM rear end. If you have the correct thickness then you cant go wrong with Mobil1.

As no warrenty use wat you feel best if car is a keeper or not when I was racing I would change it more frequently. Keep recepits for records for when you sell. When I sold my subaru and chevy the buyer liked the paperwork side showed history of car better than service book that very rarely has the receipts to back up the service stamps.

Gave in and ordered 7quarts of the original fill, Pennzoil 0w40 Platinum ultra and a genuine SRT oil filter.
I’m sure the Mobil 1 would have been fine, but I plan on keeping the car so.......

???

Gave in and ordered 7quarts of the original fill, Pennzoil 0w40 Platinum ultra and a genuine SRT oil filter.
I’m sure the Mobil 1 would have been fine, but I plan on keeping the car so.......
How did the price compare with Red Line from Opie?

Back