Managed to bring my laptop back to life.

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
Over the weekend my Lappa Flappa (laptop) died from a little accident of sticky liquid falling in one end and dripping out of the other end. Took the battery our right away and let it dry out.After a couple of days i started to take it apart ready for the clean-up operation.
Laptops are a pain to get apart usually, clips that are for one use only as the manufacturers clip it together. However this Dell one was all screws and came apart rather well.
IMAG0166.jpg
After a bit of cleaning inside, I gave it a quick power up with no heatsinks on the processors (can leave on for more than a few seconds) Then I started to put it back together.

IMAG0169.jpg
Powered it up again before screwing the final parts back together.

Its alive and still working now :)

Last edited:
hi dan , i would have put it in the bin , then blamed the kids ... :cool2:

I was tempted too. I could do with a new lappa. I enjoy taking things apart, it go to a point where I thought its either gonna work or it isnt, so lets take more apart.
The Playstation went funny a little while back and i managed to fix that. While i have this fine tuned fixing streak on my side I'll give anything a go to try and fix it.

Saves you money if you can save it. H has 3 deadish laptops here that he keeps saying he will fix one day. However one did go in the bin recently so slowly they are going. He does keep saying he needs a new one. I guess he does really as he is still using the one he bought in Australia about 8 years ago and it has an orange line all the way through the screen. Mind you i am still using mine that was bought in Oz 6 years ago so i guess they were made to last. Sticky liquid however does not help it!! Lol!!

I was tempted too. I could do with a new lappa. I enjoy taking things apart, it go to a point where I thought its either gonna work or it isnt, so lets take more apart.
The Playstation went funny a little while back and i managed to fix that. While i have this fine tuned fixing streak on my side I'll give anything a go to try and fix it.

Nice one Dan!

I think we should have a go at fixing stuff which has broken...it's the law! Expecially when you have nothing to lose and would only throw it away. I have managed to repair loads of stuff by having a go.. tumble dryers, wahing machines, kids toys, TV,s all sorts (although the TV's were cheating a bit, as I was a TV engineer!).

But I know what you mean about taking things apart. In fact, I find it funny when things are stripped down and are still working when in bits! (Like your laptop in the picture).

I remember when I was at Highbury College years ago. In one of the lecture rooms they had a load of electronic components soldered together as working radio and hanging from the ceiling! Excellent!!

Last edited:
Back