Mad Mike: "Drifting"s common for washed up motocrossers"

RSS_Auto_Poster

Written by Stephen Dobie
12579.jpg

Mad Mike Whiddett is someone we"re familiar with here at Top Gear; a drifting, well, madman who"s made his name as a Red Bull athlete with utter disdain for the potential longevity of tyres. Before chatting to us at this year"s Goodwood Festival of Speed, he took us for a passenger ride around the historic Goodwood Circuit, and the whole thing felt like one enormous accident. In a good way. But does such a loopy sport belong at such a historic venue? "I"m humbled to get the opportunity to come here. We received a special award for the most outstanding showmanship, which was really cool because in the guard of honour was Lewis Hamilton, Sebastien Loeb, Sir Jackie Stewart and Stirling Moss. All these amazing icons of motorsport. "It felt like drifting was being taken seriously. Even in New Zealand, drifting is perceived as a bit of a boy racer sport. But that"s only because drifting is so accessible for youngsters to get into. I"ve been to lots of really cool events where I"ve been able to showcase drifting. In the morning, you might get the odd person frowning upon it; oh it"s one of those boy racing guys". But then you do the demonstration, and in the afternoon you"re flooded with fans. That"s what it was like at Goodwood. Now, every year, we come back. The fan base gets even bigger."

Date written: 16 Jul 2018

More of this article on the Top gear website

ID: 12579

Back