LS1 Intake Manifolds

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
When I have the funds available I will get a a new intake manifold and throttle body. Why? well should get some performance gains.

The standard intake manifold for the LS1 had a 78mm opening for the throttle body. The LS6 intake fits in its place, which had a few minor differences and was totally compatible this was used in 2001 and 2002.
1596661135779.png

Pictured is the 92mm, mine i so old, they don't even both making the smaller one anymore.

A long time ago i brought an intake manifold made by F.A.S.T. The only one available at the time was 78mm which was fine as it was compatible with the trottle body. It was ported to match the heads. There was performance increases with this, claimed to be 20hp.

Now I have aftermarket heads, and a very lumpy cam, and also bored and stroked. I'm sure this engine would like more air if it could get it.

Found this brilliant write up on LS1Tech, https://ls1tech.com/forums/generati...e-manifold-cylinder-head-testing-summary.html

Think of the car on tick over and you are breathing through a straw, all is okay, not try running. You soon get starved of air. Having more air and a better flow will be far better for the modifications i have. Which one do i choose....
Looking at the flow numbers it between the Fast LSXR 102mm and the MSD 102mm
screenshot_20190705_082059_2_7e0cebc3b5aa815f189009b1f1232710763e2cfb.png

Now i have read of some fitment issued for the MSD, but was that down to the person installing it? I do like F.A.S.T as my current intake has done very well over the years.
121-2700.jpg
55019_1_.jpg

I would need a 102mm throttle body. I don't plan on running a MAF so that can go. So will get a 102mm pipe to then terminate into an air filter, or see what options are available there.

Then there will be a few tuning sessions to dial it in.

Anyway, this should generate some talk.... I'll get a shopping list to post, but it wont be any time soon for the purchase.

Well, that all makes sense. I have heard it said that an engine is basically an air pump lol. I would think your exhaust system can easily deal with the increased air flow from a bigger intake. Then, as you say, you can play with the fuelling to match.

You are simply moving the restriction around. First it’s heads, then exhaust and now intake. Each time one is improved the restriction moves to the next until the limit of the combustion chambers is reached and then it’s either nitrous or forced aspiration. How far do you want to take it?
Maybe it’s time to ditch the LS-1 based engine and replace it with an LSA?

nice blower/ intake manifold in the Summit catalog

Nah, here is what Dan needs to do. Stop all this arsing around and do the job right!

Nah, here is what Dan needs to do. Stop all this arsing around and do the job right!
Looks like a very nice bit of kit. Worth double the value of the car.

nice blower/ intake manifold in the Summit catalog Got the link for Dan so he can drool or hit the buy now function lol

Back