Installing the front K-Member and Upper/Lower A-Arms

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
As most of you know I brought some parts a while back. So wanted to start a thread on it, it wont be done just yet.

What is the K-Member?, well its the bit that your engine bolts to, and this then bolts to the chassis.
1584987494739.png

Why change the K-Member?, well In my case, I need to remove my sump to attend to a leak, that is either an engine out job, or drop the front suspension while holding the engine in place. So why change the k-member? well my thought process is if I'm taking off something old its nice to replace it with something new. so these shiny bits attracted me to press the buy button and this is in the loft ready to make its way to the garage.
This kit also lightens the front end of the car by (33lbs) 15Kg's according the the website blurb, http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/catalog/98-02-ls1-umi-performance-front-end-kit-stage-3/

I'll be changing the track rod ends so it is all new. I'll also check for any play in the steering rack, if there is I'm sure I can find a local place to recondition what I have.

So in preparation for changing the track rod ends, I brought a fork thingy.
1584988857942.png

Also although it may look like I have the entire front suspension, I have shocks and springs ready too in the shed. What I don't have is the vertical bar that joins the upper and lower A-Arms together, this holds the wheels on via the wheel bearing. My current ones are fine. Which is why I have the POR-15. I'm going to clean them up and make them look like new.

Two bits of advice.
Typically US ball joints are quite large in diameter and pickle forks typically aren’t big enough. You may end up grinding out the inside edge of one prong. I got tired of fighting them on all the American ball joints I’ve done and bought a ball joint kit.
Por15 is nasty, nasty stuff. Please, please ensure you use it outside or if inside keep the air moving with a strong fan. Inhaling that stuff will do more damage to your lungs than Covid-19. And wear gloves, you’ll be wearing the paint for some days if you don’t.

Found a photo I took when I changed the rotors. This is the bit i need to keep and will clean up and treat with POR-15
1584992634906.png

Also the top of the strut mount will be reused, This will clean up well and also receive the POR-15 treatment.
1584992746019.png

You can get drag race spindles but I don’t know if they are strong enough for cornering duties.
Straight line stuff puts the stresses in different places on the spindles.

Two bits of advice.
Typically US ball joints are quite large in diameter and pickle forks typically aren’t big enough. You may end up grinding out the inside edge of one prong. I got tired of fighting them on all the American ball joints I’ve done and bought a ball joint kit.
Por15 is nasty, nasty stuff. Please, please ensure you use it outside or if inside keep the air moving with a strong fan. Inhaling that stuff will do more damage to your lungs than Covid-19. And wear gloves, you’ll be wearing the paint for some days if you don’t.
Yeah point taken. The parts I will be painting are easily removable from the car. I'll be doing this in the back garden in free air and not in the garage. Used this stuff before for the axle, and took your advice last time, its nasty stuff.

Changed the ball joints a few years back and used a similar fork, mine ball joints aren't worn, but just changing as a freshen up. Weather that means they will easily come out. I don't know. I have some ball joint splitters which are more like screw reverse clamp type things. Fingers crossed I have all the tools. If not there is no real rush to get it on the road. I can borrow a ball joint splitter from a local garage.

Yeah it sure can. I will do that too, and anything else I see. I want to to look like new under there ready for its MOT.

Checkling the ball seperator, I should be good.
1585039318399.png

1585039293757.png

Looking forward to getting started with this. I need to put up some shelving in the garage above the workbench as most of my stuff is on the work tops at present. There is room for shelves under the window, I currently have a box there for recycling paper. Once this is done, I'll give the floor another vacuum. I could do with putting down cement sealer on the floor, ideal weather for it. I havn't brought that yet though. So shelving and cupboards tonight.

yes paint the floor much easier to keep the place clean. a lot less dust and liquid spill don't soak in need to do mine again.

choose a color that makes it easy to see what you dropped pain in the ass when you cant find what you looking for . MYBE sponge bob yellow lol,,,,

Back