importing stonking great truck into Southampton

smack

looking for help with a decision.

My truck arrives soon and the original plan was to ship it up here to Edinburgh and have the conversion work and MOT work carried out up here.
However the mechanic I had in mind cannot help :( because of other commitments and there aren't too many Americana experts around these here parts.

So, should I have the conversion work carried out on the South coast and drive it up myself once done or get it delivered to a local garage that does vintage British stuff and wing getting him to do the work?

Truck is a 1978 Grumman Olsen P20. So it's big, slow, uncomfortable, thirsty and so so cool.

#

Not sure if it needs an SVA or IVA test, but the conversion can take time and also they run many tests, like angle of the lights, and holes a child can get caught on as they fly over the hood, the visibility of the rear view mirrors. It will pass this test with bauld tyres, as long as the truck cannot exceed the speed rating of the tyres.

Due to the age of the truck you may not to do this test, hopefully someone will give you a definate answer.

If you can get a book on the truck, like a wiring diagram, then any electrical mechanic could tackle it.

Hope all goes well with your truck, and good luck.

There is a chap fairly local to here, he imports trucks from the states and sell them on. There is a chance he could do the work for you. Stumpys Toy Town - used American car sale Just say Dan from the Renegades sent you, he should see you okay.
He has a postman van at the moment
f4dha1442351196.jpg

thanks Dan, great responce
I think because of the age it doesn't need SVA type testing (at least that is how I planned it!).
I dont think there is any chance of the van every going near the speed rating (haha) but that is a good shout, I'll have a look at the speedo. had planned to replace all four tyres anyway onto something I trust.
I'll hook up with Stumpy - was he on 'Shed and Buried'?
^706A7FA19F17700ECF7B1BB4F78872A56B3E0D3B9A4A2ED444^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Hi Dan.
Thanks for the heads-up, I've spoken to John and he couldn't have been any more helpful and is very knowledgeable about these old crates . i owe you one.
Stuart

Hi Dan.
Thanks for the heads-up, I've spoken to John and he couldn't have been any more helpful and is very knowledgeable about these old crates . i owe you one.
Stuart

Thats good to hear. Thanks. :tea:

It's what these places (forums) are all about :)

Back