Identification of rear axle Jeep kj

Jumbot

Hello peeps, got an interesting one, had a noise from the rear axle as I pulled away, cannot describe the noise but it was there and gone, as its up for sale thought I better have a look, turns out one of the spider gears has lost part of a tooth, the main gear and worm are perfect, I could of cleaned out the debris refitted the back plate and ignored it, not my way of doing things. Any one knowledgeable enough to put me out of my misery?

I have according to parts bought oil seals and hand brake shoes, an 8.25 Axle and Diff good old Chrysler back axle BUT it has Limited Slip Diff Plates, which from the info I have is a DANA diff? Confused I am, first the pics of the dodgy bits then a pic of the parts that appear to match. My jeep is a KJ 2.8 Auto
106063827_255884132373896_614377288579386035_n.jpg106111456_979637372475106_1605906090960235273_n.jpg106007489_589428858650800_1879834089517809926_n.jpgAnnotation 2020-06-26 183116.png

have you tried cross refferance on the rockauto site ?? as they list part numbers and give pictures and might even get lucky and be cheaper?

Thank you, will have a look

I presume This! should be clicky? if so sorry it don't work

I've had rear end issues in the past, needed new differential. A tooth broke off, got ground up destroyed other teeth. Brought a new doff and gears. Put it in shimmed it up with a mechanic giving me a hand. It lasted 2 or 3 years. So took the whole axel to Houser racing near Sandta Pod to have all new bits fitted. What I learnt is no matter how hard you try, it's worth taking somewhere that fixes them.

Hello Dan, yes I normally take all my transmission troubles to Solent Gearboxes, quite close to me, but these gears require no setting up etc, however identifying them has been a challenge, I can confirm the rear axle is a good old 8 1/4 Chrysler special, been around for donkeys years, but this one has been crossed with a DANA Spicer diff, oh deepest of joys, I phoned Jeepey this morning as the parts guy there is very good, to see if they could locate the kit now we know what it is, shock and horror they don't work Saturdays !!!!! LOL Looks like I may have to get it from the good old USA

Right, information from Germany, my Jeep has he wrong Axle, so bitten the bullet, purchased a second hand axle from Silverlake garage, £407 ive got to explain away to the Wife, hey ho. Lots of reasons to go down this route, the old axel has to come out regardless, mainly to have the new bits fitted, (I don't have the right tools to compress the LSD clutches for one thing) so whilst its out sling in the other one, job done, with a prayer!!

The info on the rockauto site is exceptional, BUT as they do not have the Diesel option, the parts are not shown and their e mail although polite says if it isnt listed they do not do it.

fixing jeep will be easy compaired to explaining to the wife lol,,,,,,,,

You may as well keep it and get your monies worth out of it. Otherwise you are unlikely to see a financial return on your investment and and the buyer benefits from your money and time. Keep it, enjoy it and use it!

I believe you are very correct, I hate to think how much I have spent, well over the point of reality.....................................

lol, yep, overspent here too. A few ball park figures.
£18k for the car.
£1k for parts and SVA testing.
£1.5k rear end.
£7k heads cam/ exhaust, intake, injectors, tuning software.
£8k engine rebuild.
£3.5k suspention bits, kmember, upper/lower control arms, springs, shocks.
£3k restoration respray etc..

£42k for a car worth perhaps £9k. opps.

INDEED OOOPS, Ive always had Land Rovers, got fed up with the leaks and bits breaking, thought I would try an old Jeep, got the wee wee extracted from many Land Rover people, but kept going with it, have never spent as much on all my Land Rovers, as this Jeep, but its got under my skin, its a cheeky little chappy, just wish it would stop throwing up different surprises!!

£42k for a car worth perhaps £9k. opps.

My numbers were equally outrageous on my 4th gen TA. It’s a car that begs to be modded and is encouraged by the aftermarket support.

I definitely got over the modding bug now. Although it was fun and the sense of achievement high I’m just as happy with ownership of a vehicle that does what I want without modding. Maybe just touches of personality.

In Jumbots case you just never now what previous owner(s) have done and what horrors you will unearth but I still suggest keep it and enjoy it. Otherwise only the next owner benefits and you may end up starting again with whatever follows it.

One of my biggest mistakes was to fabricate and try to fit a 2inch lift kit as the drive shafts on the front were inverted, I bought new shocks and springs to fit whilst I was at it, only to find the problem was someone had in fact lowered the Jeep by fitting lowering front and rear shocks and springs, so when the lift with new items was offered up, there was no room, that was expensive, mainly due to the fact that my Son had given me back my MIG, that needed a few items replacing, and to find the Gas bottle empty, I had to purchase another bottle, so had to pay the deposit and gas in one go, as the Linde bottle I have cannot be refilled by me, anyone have an account that wants an empty large Argon mix bottle I have one!!

if its BOC they scan them when you collect. i think you can only return the same one. return a different one and get charged rent for it

Writing this when very tired and fed up, axle fitted, on driving home noticed the ABS and brake warning/handbrake light was on and NO speedo, get to home crawl under and change the ABS pickup on top of the Diff, its the only electrical connection on the rear axle, on taking the wife to fetch her car as I had been using it, the speedo worked and ABS and hand brake light went out, thought I had fixed it, NOPE on applying the brakes the ABS activated, and both lights came back on, any suggestions at this point gratefully received, is there another speed sensor on the auto box, have I picked up a different ratio diff to what was fitted? Currently running with ABS and hand brake light on and speedo working?

where dose the hand brake light attached to? the brakes or a switch by the handbrake like on subarus? hand brake light should be a easy fix the abs light can you plug a obd tool into cant remember the age? could you damaged the cable brake lines refitting the diff the ratio of the diff i dont think would effect the abs damage to wiring / sensor would and take it you have bleed the system ?

Back