History Today

Were you guys thinking of Eddie Kidd maybe? :unsure:
He was British motorcycle stunt rider who was badly injured in a failed jump and was sadly left partly paralysed with brain damage.

No one followed in his footsteps think the only stunt man around is russ swiss son now mybe wrong well know anyway,

Actual footage of the first test drive of the prototype Dodge Ram.....

image.jpeg

94619961_1999988613467714_7471881865285074944_n.jpg

Back on track.....

train01.jpg

train02.jpg

.....The 'Deco' style trains. the bottom one is the 'Mallard' - Fastest steam train ever! (I think.)

Indeed it is. Mallard still holds the world record for a steam locomotive, 126 miles an hour.
Must have been the fastest thing on the planet on the late 30's.

EDIT: just checked, the fastest car at the time was, 1930-1939 | Duesenberg Model SJ | 140 mph (225 km/h)

I bet the train had a longer stoping distance.

Im not quite sure why you would want to do this to be fair. It's a bit like putting bull bars on a Camaro....?

image.jpeg

Maybe to attract the younger generation in through the gate. Does look very odd having a bill board style face, needed some shroud to blend it to the engine.
I expect the train spotters get a tad wound up as they want to take a nice shot of this iconic engine and there is a hideous face stuck on it.

I wouldn't have been best pleased going to see 60103 and it having a face on the front.
1588586562813.png

Yes, after a fairly ignominious end to her career as a pub sign on the island, she's now been fully restored and still runs on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway.

Excellent! I remember it used to be in the car park of the Hayling Billy pub, I can recall us climbing on it as kids when our parents visited the pub lol.
Yes I had heard it was now in use on the Isle Of Wight. Also, that proven residents of Hayling Island could ride on it for free! Not sure if that's still the case?

Hayling Island again, 1960s.
Thats a big ditch to have by the side of a road. It seems Hayling is out to get drivers, expecially high vehicles leaving overhead branches over the road.

Back