History Today

Stephen CA

Core Member
Just a random idea, as we've all got more time on our hands than we really need, if you've found any "Automotive Archaeology" related pics post them here. I'll start.....

Highlights from a car cruise along Portsdown Hill circa. 1930. Micks Monsters must have been closed.

image.jpeg

I can remember Portsdown hill before the flyover and just about remember these in North End.....

RV-9148_lr.jpg

.....Trolley buses. Finished service in the early sixties I think.

I can remember Portsdown hill before the flyover and just about remember these in North End.....

View attachment 159592

.....Trolley buses. Finished service in the early sixties I think.

I'm surprised the concept of Trolley Buses hasnt been revived in these days of rapid transport. I would have thought the infrastructure was cheaper than building tramways.

I'm surprised the concept of Trolley Buses hasnt been revived in these days of rapid transport. I would have thought the infrastructure was cheaper than building tramways.

Probably because we don’t have enough electricity to support the planned growth. The figure I keep hearing is 9 new nuclear power stations to support the anticipated dates for electric car adoption.

Anyone got any idea what this is? I'm guessing it's a type of sandstone....

View attachment 159594
Spare tyre looks too large for the wheels.
Great seeing old photos. The earie thing is, that there is a good chance them people are no longer around.

i too can just remember trolleybuses and steam trains the trolleybus i think at bournemouth. the steam train was at swanwick station

I watched a program on the 'Shanghai Maglev' (look it up.) the other night, it covered the history of wheel less trains and their best attempts. One was this example, built specifically for speed, the 'Aerotrain'. this is the O2, the first built purely as a transport (O1) but less interesting.....

aerotrain.jpg

.....It was a mix of hovercraft and jet engine and reached a speed of about 230 MPH. The Maglav travels from Shanghai to the airport and tops out at 431 KPH (270 ish MPH) The fastest train in the world!

where have all the deardevil stunt drivers gone or have they lernt from the past?????????????????????

where have all the deardevil stunt drivers gone or have they lernt from the past?????????????????????
I guess in the old days a good stunt man got a job in a film. These days computers can generate scenes making stuntmen a bit more redundant, there are still stuntmen but it's certainly different now.
I do remember watching Eddie the Eagle doing his stunts.

I actually worked with a woman a few years ago who was a part time stunt person.
IIRC she actually had a stunt scene in one of the Bond movies.

I guess in the old days a good stunt man got a job in a film. These days computers can generate scenes making stuntmen a bit more redundant, there are still stuntmen but it's certainly different now.
I do remember watching Eddie the Eagle doing his stunts.

The problem with Eddie the Eagle was he didn't realise he was a comedy stuntman, he thought he was a ski jumper.

Fair play to him though, that looks dangerous!

Back