Firebird Formula Project

Will

Core Member
Just found this on eBay. Clearly a fair sized project, but they claim it runs. I thought it honest of them to show the VIN... which shows it to be a 1977 Firebird Formula with the 400ci Pontiac V8 (assuming still original). I know not as sought after as a TA, but could still be worth considering as a project and investment??

Ouch, that’s rusty. Also got the wrong dash fitted.
The advert says engine is a 440, which a Mopar lump and not Pontiac.

Sure is! They aren't kidding when they say it's a project are they! :LOL:. Maybe they are just guessing with the engine? Presumably the V8 would either be a 400 Pontiac or 403 Chevy in that?
I wouldn't know re the dash TBH. It could be restored into a TA replica? I know it would never be right because of the VIN, but it happens a lot with other makes.
My old 65 Mini Cooper has since sprouted another fuel tank and an S badge! :unsure:

403 is the olds engine same as in mine, mybe it was a typo on the seller side ??????????????

It should be either a 403 or a 400 but a 440 swap was common. Hell, it was a Mopar engine that powered the Bandits car in the movie.
I have seen a 2nd gen on eBay previously that was fitted with a Mopar engine. I didn’t recognise it in the photo but Graeme (July92rs) did.

Oh and VIN decides as a genuine Formula with the Pontiac 400 engine. In my opinion (and many others) the 400 is superior to the 403 so if it does have the original engine and it’s not a seized boat anchor it’s worth saving.

Oh and VIN decides as a genuine Formula with the Pontiac 400 engine. In my opinion (and many others) the 400 is superior to the 403 so if it does have the original engine and it’s not a seized boat anchor it’s worth saving.
I read that about the engines too. As I say, they claim it runs. Doesn't necessarily mean much, but it's promising if it's true I guess.

TBH, it’s not worth anything like the £9500 it’s priced at. The restoration cost would be very significant and I know of far better examples in the mid-teens that requires virtually nothing. Either it’s better than the photos or the seller has rose tinted specs. For me the maximum price would be £4k and 1/2 that is the 400 with another 1/4 being the gearbox. Maybe add another £500 if it’s a 440 - there are always Mopar fans wanting the right date coded piece.
The other 1/4 is what’s salvageable and not swept off the drive into a dustpan.
Opinion without seeing it of course!

I think this proves your point AT!!!

Yup. A few things I don’t like about it but easily changeable and on the face of it not full of rot.
Someone took the time to size the carb right for the engine and not just dump the biggest one that they could find on it.... coz bigger makes more powa right?! ?
For a modified example it looks good, but beware shiny paint and the horrors it can hide!

Too many people wanting to make quick money, buying a run down car, tart it up and flog it for way more. Only so much tarting up you can do.

Yep,Shiny paint can hide horrors as i have found out...Back to the 77 the dash top is also a brownish colour round the vin so possibly had the white seats added as the carpet looks brown too, that said mine was dark grey with tan interior when new:sick:

Back