Exhaust gone on the Fiesta

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
I took the fiesta to work yesterday, noticed it was a little louder than the last time I drove it. So I looked underneath could hear it was blowing somewhere from the front, but couldn't tell where exactly, either front box or where the downpipe joins to the 4to1 manifold. Sarah was last to drive it on the Southsea cruise to get some photos, may be it was on its way out, over a number of years I guess corrosions gets the better of it.

Anyway as it was sounding like a small hole, and I had to go to Botley after work and then Eastleigh. I went on my way, the noise didn't get any louder until I went past the Chairmakers pub in Denmead, just about to go over the little hump backed bridge. I heard a bang and scraping on the ground, so I had to pull over quick, it sounded like the exhaust has dropped. Pulled into a dark narrow country lane on the right, off the main road. Many people pasted by, while I was trying to see what's happened.

I look under the car and see this.
IMAG0228.jpg
Humm, not good. Cant drive like it, as it could dig in the ground and probably send the rear of the fiesta up into the air. So I look for wire in the car to try and tie it up. No wire, but I do have an old pair of shoes, so I take out the laces, I felt the exhaust, it does feel quite warm, so not sure if the laces would hold, on futher inspection there isn't really anywhere to tie the exhaust to that I can reach.
Next plan, take the exhaust off.
After much fuddling and pulling the exhaust from the back I could see the exhaust has been put together to go over the rear axel, therefore its not gonna come off in one piece even with creating extra clearance over the rear axle by wedging me knee under the rear bumper and lifting the car up to almost off the ground on one side while trying to pull the exhaust back. I was rapidly running out of energy (no power ups near by) I was getting very hot, and wanted to keep the on leather coat as having a meeting in Eastleigh to do with work I didn't want to get my shirt dirty. My hands have gone very black by this point from all the soot. I have an old decorating t-shirt I was trying to wipe my hands on but this didn't even touch the dirt.
So I need to get the exhaust off in two parts then. I have no saw. So a bit of brute force has to come into play. Grabbing the front and pulling it towards me out of the side of the car, and then moving up and down the side of the car, doing this little relay race really got me all puffed out and I had to rest after 15 runs. I was a ball of sweat, all running down my face, felt like I have been to the gym for 7mins. Couldn't wipe my face or I would have looked like one of the camouflage army guys, as all my hands and arms were black.
So after more Brutus force I finally got it to snap. Pulled it off, and took a much needed photo of my success.
IMAG0229.jpg
A little bit blurry due to the adrenaline rush. I popped these parts in the boot of the car. Looked under the car to see where the exhaust exits, there is only body work around that area, no fuel lines etc... So I started the car up, the sound of a chieftain tank came to mind. turned round in the road and proceeded to go to Botley to visit mum. The car was very loud, I was accelerating slowly everywhere to keep the noise down. I sent the photo to my mechanic who will be getting me a price today. At the day centre where my mum is I had to wash my hands there, mum laughed at my hands as they were so black, and she wouldn't hold my hand. Quickly scrubbed up, she stood next to me by the sink checking I done a good job.
After the visit there, I then had to go to Eastleigh, so back in the tank I went, took the motorway, slowly accelerating on the slip read reaching about 50mph, and behind a lorry which was great, as I didn't want to go much faster, at a cruising speed it isn't too bad, its accelerating is the noisy bit, so sitting at this constant speed was perfect. Also with no back pressure I'm not gonna go around ragging it, as if any damage occurs in the valves its a throw away vehicle then.

So it was a bit of an eventful evening. Got home about 9pm, put feet up, powered up the lappa flappa to check on the Renegades website.

Last edited:
Nice one dan....I have some second hand coke cans if that helps...
The bore of a coke cane could be too large, it would be like what these boy racers put on their cars. Twin cherry bombs could be nice though.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. I'll get started on that. Bailey loves toilet rolls, so I may have to trade some Bonio's with him so i can take all his cardboard tubes he has laying about.

If you make the coke cans fit then you can bring your fiesta to the open season show with my mate with the focus ............lol

If you make the coke cans fit then you can bring your fiesta to the open season show with my mate with the focus ............lol

Hahahahaha!!!!

I drive the Fiesta to work today and to say it was loud would be an understatement!! I was laughing almost all the way to work! I got a few looks too haha!

That Corsa is like my dream car :) only worth ?50 if that so nice and cheap to pick up lol!

Back