Drive Club on PS VR

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
One of the top driving games on the Playstation 4 is Drive Club. I've really been getting back into it again lately. Even though its over a year old, the graphics and game play are very good indeed. Well they are stepping up the realism another notch.

Its now available on the PSVR system. This guy gives it ago.
[video=youtube;jyDWBkKlYBM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyDWBkKlYBM[/video]

Its from seeing this video, it put ideas in to my mind of getting the system. Popped into Game in Waterlooville they are not taking any ordered before crimbo due to the possibility of not being able to deliver. So I went online and ordered from Game, it had a delivery date of 31/12/2016. Well Thursday 10th Nov i got an email to say its being packed, on the 11th I got an email to say it will be delivered Monday, then another email on Saturday to say it will be delivered this afternoon.

Not long now.
So trying to get loads of work done now.

Last edited:
Many Trophies to collect in this game. Many of them appear in reach too.

Virtuoso - Collect all of the other Trophies.

You've Never Used Them Before - Complete your first Event.

Flashback - Save a Replay at the end of an Event.

Beat It
- Beat your first Face-Off.

Getting The Keys
- Unlock your first car.

Set A Drift
- Using Single Event, setup and complete a Drift Event.

Shooting Stars
- Complete a Tour Event with the maximum number of available Stars.

Bring Me Solo And The Rookie
- Win the 'Red Hills Cup' Event in Tour on Gold Star difficulty.

Soul Captured
- Navigate through 20 viewing points in Inspection Mode.

DRIVECLUB™ Express
- Stop and look at a Steam Train in Scotland.

Phone Home - Stop and look at a Telephone Box in Scotland.

Here Comes A New Challenger…
- Win 2 of your own Solo Challenges after sending them to at least one other player.

Virtual Sea Legs
- Play 5 Events in Multiplayer.

Jumpman
- Collide with 10 roadside Barrier Barrels.

Superhighway Maintenance
- Collide with 100 Road Signs.

Ghost In The Drift - Score over 2501 fame for a single Drift Overdrive.

Howl At The Moon - Win a Race at midnight in the W Motors Lykan HyperSport.

If I Only Had A Brain - Stop and look at a Scarecrow in Japan.
The Scarecrow can be found on the Kobago Map
[video=youtube;03IAzCl75yc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03IAzCl75yc[/video]

Gnome Me Gnome You - Stop and look at a Gnome in Japan.
The Gnome can be found in this video
[video=youtube;fLvVmlXyH4M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLvVmlXyH4M[/video]
Virtually A Pro - Win the 'Hyper Tournament India' Event in Tour on Gold Star difficulty.

It's All In The Wrists - Drift across 10 Race finish lines whilst in First position.

Star Destroyer - Gain all Gold Stars in Tour.

Outer Limits - Reach Driver Level 60.

How Fast Do You Wanna Go! - Complete a point to point Event with an Average Speed of 125mph or 202 km/h.

Gotta Go Fast - Reach 210mph or 338 km/h.

When This Baby Hits... - Complete the ‘Great Scott’ Event’s objective Face-Off in Tour.

Venomous - In Time Trial complete Tamil Nadu 01 in 01:16.000 or less with the Hennessey Venom GT.

Secret Trophies

Lawnmower Man - Drive a total of 10 minutes whilst Off Track.

Well I have been playing Drive Club VR quite a bit over the Christmas break. The other nice thing about Vr is that sarah can watch what she wants on TV as obviously there is a screen in the VR headset. Been getting quite far with just the regular controller, but its difficult to turn a little quickly, also braking tend to lock up he brakes, as the button dosn't have to travel far to fully depress. So I wanted to get a steering wheels and pedals at some point. So for Christmas I either got readdies or 'Game' vouchers. There were two steering wheels that took my fancy. Either the Thrustmaster T150 or the T300, both have force feedback. Quite a bit of difference in price, the T150 was around £180, and the T300 was about £300.

T150 - Features
  • PlayStation®4-certified embedded software and PS4™/PS3™ sliding switch
  • Official embedded software: the racing wheel is automatically recognized by the PS4™ console
  • Compatible in the console’s menus
  • PS4™/PS3™ sliding switch for optimal compatibility on both systems
  • 1080° Force Feedback base featuring Immersion TouchSense® technology
  • Drive system with adjustable Force Feedback lets you feel every detail while you’re racing (the road or track’s relief, loss of tire grip, braking, bumps and impacts, etc.).
  • Rotation angle adjustable from 270° to 1080°!
  • Very precise wheel: optical reading with 12-bit resolution (i.e. 4,096 values on the wheel’s steering axis)
  • Mixed belt-pulley and gears system
  • Smoother, more fluid and less noisy than helical gears with metal ball-bearing axle (for enhanced sturdiness)
  • Internal memory and upgradeable firmware
  • Robust and versatile attachment system, compatible with all mounts (desks, tables, etc.)
  • Realistic wheel
  • Built-in official buttons for PlayStation®4 (PS/SHARE/OPTIONS)
  • Access social functions, switch between the game and the system,navigate through the console’s menus, etc.
  • 11”/28 cm in diameter, with an ergonomic design perfectly adapted for all driving games (GT, F1, NASCAR, Rally, etc.)
  • Rubber-coated wheel grips
  • 2 large, wheel-mounted sequential paddle shifters
  • 5”/13 cm tall – 100% metal – Tact switch with life cycle exceeding 500,000 activations
  • Comprehensive driving gear
  • 13 action buttons (including 2 on the base) + 1 D-Pad
  • Large, optimized pedal set
  • Pedals with wide foot rest
  • Each pedal’s angle of inclination can be adjusted
  • Brake pedal with progressive resistance
  • Compatible with the T3PA* and T3PA-PRO* pedal sets (Thrustmaster 3 Pedals Add-on)
  • Compatible with the Thrustmaster TH8A* shifter

T300 - Features
  • 1080° FORCE FEEDBACK SERVOMOTOR WHEEL BASE (FEATURING AN INDUSTRIAL-CLASS BRUSHLESS SERVOMOTOR)
  • A servomotor is combining a rotary actuator (H.E.A.R.T HallEffect AccuRate Technology™(*) technology) for precise control of angular position, velocity and acceleration with an industrial brushless motor.
  • Thrustmaster has also coupled the servomotor with a relatively sophisticated algorithm FOC (Field oriented Control) to offer the best efficiency, lowest cogging, smoothest feeling, highest accuracy and highest force feedback torque.
  • Industrial-class brushless motor
  • Super smooth and seamless Force Feedback effect, ultra-responsive and realistic Force effects
  • New dual-belt, friction-free optimized mechanism
  • Smooth and seamless efforts ‑ Super silent system
  • High-precision racing wheel
  • H.E.A.R.T HallEffect AccuRate Technology™(*) technology, featuring a contactless magnetic sensor: precision won’t decrease over time
  • 16-bit resolution, i.e. 65,536 values on the steering
  • Rotation angle adjustable from 270° to 1080°
  • Internal memory and upgradeable firmware
  • Official PlayStation®4 buttons included (PS, SHARE, OPTIONS): access the new social features by instantly switching between the game and the system, at any time
  • Realistic: 11” / 28 cm diameter racing wheel featuring a brushed metal central spokes
  • Reinforced rubber texture on the wheel’s entire circumference
  • Weighs around 2.6 lbs / 1.2 kg, for ultra-realistic inertia and Force Feedback
  • 2 large fixed paddle shifters on the racing wheel
  • 5” / 13 cm high paddle shifters
  • 100% metal
  • Tact switch with life cycle exceeding 10,000,000 activations
  • Comprehensive driving gear
  • 13 action buttons (including 2 on base) + 1 D-Pad
  • Detachable racing wheel featuring the Thrustmaster Quick Release system
  • Switch racing wheels easily
  • Official licensed PS4™ / PS3™ with automatic recognition by the PS4™ system
  • PS4™/PS3™ sliding switch for optimum compatibility on both systems
  • Compatible with all mounts (desks/tables/cockpits/etc.)
  • Metal pedals with long range of travel
  • Brake pedal with progressive resistance
  • Pedals fully adjustable in height and spacing for 6 possible positions for each pedal
  • Compatible with all currently available detachable racing wheels (Ferrari F1 Add-on**, Ferrari GTE Add-on**, T500 RS GT Wheel** and Base-Fixed Paddle Shifters kit**)
  • Compatible with the T3PA** (Thrustmaster 3 Pedals Add-on) and the T500 RS pedal sets, T3PA PRO
  • Compatible with the TH8A** and TH8RS** gearboxes

So weighed up how much I would use it, the T150 would do plenty for me. Went ont he Game websit, but they shopping cart failed to work, as as i wanted to use gift cards, it would probably be easier to pop into the shop in Waterlooville. So popped along to order one as the website showed no stock. Asked for either the T150 or T300. Turned out they had a T150 in stock. So got that.
IMG-20161229-WA0000.jpg
Really looking forward to trying it out.

More photos to follow.

Steering wheels looks great and feels great, most of it is made from metal, weights a bit. Went to mount it to the coffee table. The edge of the coffee table isn't protruding enough, however it will fit on the dining room table. I came up with the idea of making something out of wood to hold between my legs while sitting on the sofa or a chair.

Screenshot_20161230-150350.jpg
Some planks and 3x2. It worked, however really pulls on my leg muscles to keep it in place.

Time for phase II of the idea. So this morning I started making it.
IMAG3803.jpg
The assembly is made up of a board you sit on, and some strengthening bits with the wheel screwed to it.

IMAG3804.jpg

IMAG3805.jpg

IMAG3806.jpg

Its certainly sturdy for the force feedback, doesn't require you to hold it in place with your legs. A job well done i think. A great use for the shed, and so handy to have the spare wood and all the tools to whip this up so quickly.

IMG-20161230-WA0000.jpg
All plugged into the system, enjoying the virtual world, picking from a wide range vehicles, you an see all the interior of the car in soo much detail. While driving you can hear cars coming along side you and see them in your mirrors. The steering wheel on your screen also turns the same amount of degrees as the one in your hands. Great fun doing lots of corner carving without spending tyres or risking real damage coming off the road.

Finally completed up to driver level 60 of the game, and achieved all trophies. Still lots of mini levels and challenges to complete in the game, and new ones always pop up, playing other people in the world is also a great buzz.

if it's a VR world why do you need to sit in front of TV ??

if it's a VR world why do you need to sit in front of TV ??
Well you can have the output on the TV too so Sarah can see what I'm playing, it gives out a 2D view, so when you have friends round you all get to see it. some of the demo games the other players play on the TV and the VR player gets to see a different view.
The PS VR uses a camera to find your position in the room, I have that mounted on top of the TV, but I could play this on the dining room table and pop the camera on there.

Back