Curios Corner (Architectural and Otherwise)

Historic Brick of the Week!

From a farmhouse in Martyr Worthy, circa 1825. Possibility that it might be the doorway into a secret tunnel has yet to be established.....

Key Brick 1.jpg

Their is a grave at the top of box hill near Dorking buried head 1st from memory but Bury in unuasaul way anyway also a raised tombstone at the top of Durrington hill near the High down pub restaurant (used to be a night club)

Found this this afternoon, 17th / 18th century ledger stone from a burial built into a later wall in Winchester. You can still make out the "Here Lye" (I suspect "Lyeth") and "Body".

image.jpeg

Cycled the Hayling Billy Trail today. It's a cycle path which follows part of the old Havant to Hayling branch line which was closed in about 1965. They have partly restore the signal by the bridge crossing at Langstone.
IMG_20200301_132549_105.jpg

Cycled the Hayling Billy Trail today. It's a cycle path which follows part of the old Havant to Hayling branch line which was closed in about 1965. They have partly restore the signal by the bridge crossing at Langstone.
I haven't done the trails for a long long time, probably around 25 years ago. From what I remember it is a nice pleasant trail. I must do that again some time. Did you cycle there from home?

View attachment 159212

I take the dogs down there regularly. I'm always surprised that the semaphore signal hasn't been removed by a collector. ?

I haven't done the trails for a long long time, probably around 25 years ago. From what I remember it is a nice pleasant trail. I must do that again some time. Did you cycle there from home?
No, we had the bikes on the car and parked near Northney Marina. But it would be a nice ride to cycle from home.

I take the dogs down there regularly. I'm always surprised that the semaphore signal hasn't been removed by a collector. ?
Yeah, it's a lovely route. We saw quite a few walkers, some with dogs and a few other cyclists. Sadly it looks like kids have thrown stones at the red and green glass filters of the signal arm :cry:

A video produced by the Archaeological Contractor, Cotswold Archaeology, for a site we have just had excavated in advance of a housing development in Wickham where they have uncovered a load of Romano-British archaeology, including a very rare writing table, which helps to answer the question "What have the Romans ever done for us". There was supposed to be an open day last year but it had to be cancelled as it was a tad on the moist side so they made a video instead.... :rolleyes: ?

A video produced by the Archaeological Contractor, Cotswold Archaeology, for a site we have just had excavated in advance of a housing development in Wickham where they have uncovered a load of Romano-British archaeology, including a very rare writing table, which helps to answer the question "What have the Romans ever done for us". There was supposed to be an open day last year but it had to be cancelled as it was a tad on the moist side so they made a video instead.... :rolleyes: ?

They need to create a roman museum on that plot instead of building loads of houses.

They need to create a roman museum on that plot instead of building loads of houses.

We have just approved a load of interpretation panels that will be put up and quite a lot of it will be preserved under the public green spaces. The problem with a lot of these sites is that the archaeology is not discovered until after planning permission has been granted. We were kind of expecting Anglo-Saxon and mediaeval (you can still see mediaeval earthworks in the field opposite the church) but not Romano-British. They have also found Romano-British archaeology under 40 Acre Farm at Bedhampton, although that's not on my patch. I'll post something about that when they go public with it!

Not sure if this fits the catagory but hey ho.....

image_20226-1.jpg

.....This is a muriel/graffite on the old Littlewoods building in Liverpool. (Proudly stolen from the Mustang owners site.)

Fantastic piece of street art. The Littlewoods Building was way ahead of its time in terms of its Art Deco design as well.
I used to pass this building quite regulary. It's in Edge Lane Liverpool next to or very close to what was Plesseys which is where I was visiting.

I used to pass this building quite regulary. It's in Edge Lane Liverpool next to or very close to what was Plesseys which is where I was visiting.

I was just going to post this but you beat me to it! It was actually bigger than a lot of cathedrals. Fabulous building....

image.jpeg

I know I haven't exactly posted very much in here lately, but I've done three site visits since March.....edited highlights.....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
I know I haven't exactly posted very much in here lately, but I've done three site visits since March.....edited highlights.....
Great pictures. That impressive staircase looks like somewhere you'd see a ghost lol.
And I love the old boiler. Reminds me of the Beam Engine Museum at Eastney! 👍

Great photos, that old boiler probably has another 100 years life in it before it needs to be touched,

Back