Curios Corner (Architectural and Otherwise)

Stephen CA

Core Member
Just a random idea from a conversation Dan and I had over stuff people find on their travels....post your curios here.....

image.jpeg

More archetetual than wierd but here goes.....

spin01.jpg

.....Some of you may recognise it.

Spinika tower???

Great idea for a thread. Thanks Stephen.

More archetetual than wierd but here goes.....

View attachment 158672

.....Some of you may recognise it.

Its a real shame that the outside scenic lift never worked, and that its a third shorter than it should have been due to funding issues. I did some work at Fort Blockhouse a few years ago when I was at HCC and you get an amazing view if it from there....

Some genuine mediaeval witchmarks (or Apotropaic Marks to give them their technical name) from a 15th century timber framed building in Beauworth, Hampshire carved on a mantelpiece to prevent evil spirits from entering the building.

Attachments

• Witchmark 1.jpg
    Witchmark 1.jpg
    995.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Witchmark 2.jpg
    Witchmark 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • Witchmark 3.jpg
    Witchmark 3.jpg
    964.3 KB · Views: 3
Genuine Barn Find, in need of some light restoration work to finish, suit Woody enthusiast - Itchen Valley, Hampshire - December 2019....(apologies for the poor pictures, work camera).

Roof Structure 2.jpg

Queen Post 1.jpg

Spine Beam 1.jpg

Looks nice. With a bit of work that would be a great wedding venue.

I am currently talking to the owner over new uses for the big barn (of which that is definitely a good alternative). Unfortunately, they want to demolish the smaller one which I'm, unsurprisingly, fairly keen to prevent!

Grave of Brough Superior and motorcycle pioneer, war hero and Camel enthusiast T.E. Lawrence, Moreton, Dorset.

image.jpeg

Saw this in the New forest, no idea what it's doing there....

xmas1801.jpg

OK, done some research, it should have a plaque beside it (Now missing). It's known as 'The Portugese Fireplace' and is a memorial to the forest workers drafted in during WW1. More info if you do an internet search.

OK, done some research, it should have a plaque beside it (Now missing). It's known as 'The portugese Fireplace' and is a memorial to forest workers brought in during WW1. More info if you do an internet search.

Sorry for repeating myself again.

OK, done some research, it should have a plaque beside it (Now missing). It's known as 'The portugese Fireplace' and is a memorial to forest workers brought in during WW1. More info if you do an internet search.
Fascinating!! I love the New Forest. There's a campsite not far from Christchurch that we've stayed in called Holmsley. It has lots of large concreted areas - which I have since discovered is because it was a WW2 airfield!

Back