Comparison of the Hybrids

AmericanThunder

Super Moderator
For the past couple of weeks I have been driving a Toyota Auris hybrid, and have put over 1100 miles on it. So what are my thoughts?
First, why a hybrid?
Nothing to do with environmental concerns, everything to do with financial concerns.
As a company car, I get taxed on the car as benefit. The higher the emissions, the higher the tax - so lower emissions means more money in my pocket. This is why I won't choose a diesel. But, I still need economy, for even more money in my pocket.

So, back to the Auris.
They build these things out of what feels like tinfoil for weight savings. It feels like it has no substance to it. The ride is comfortable on smooth roads but bumps upset it and cornering is awful. The steering feels disconnected and causes me to consistently miss the apex on corners I know well. The same corners in my 2012 Kia Cee'd are no problem. But the important part is the drivetrain....
My commute is a mix of towns and A roads, so the speeds are 20-65mph and the car is consistently returning 57mpg. The big issue is that the car hates hills. The slightest incline drops the speed right off so badly you can hold up HGV's! You are forced to put your foot down and the economy suffers as a result. I think that if my commute was flatter I would be consistently in the low 60's.
The drivetrain transitions between electric/petrol/hybrid reasonably smoothly, but you can tell the transition. When the drivetrain transitions into petrol/hybrid, climbing hills for example, the CVT gearbox lets the engine revs rise and the noise is awful. The needle on the economy gauge goes orange to let you know just in case you are deaf.
You can of course choose full electric mode, as long as you don't want to out accelerate a milk float, climb a hill or exceed about 22mph! It is of course returning max mpg in this mode, but it's impractical.
The electronics are impressive, showing you how the drivetrain is delivering power or storing charge. But it's more than a little distracting, constantly encouraging you to watch the gauges and get the best MPG. But, if you don't drive with one eye on the gauges the economy would be worse.... by a lot.
It does have a power mode, its nothing like my 6.1L Hemi V8's of course, but it does quite well for overtaking as long as what you are overtaking has little wheels on the front, big wheels on the back and is often found in farm yards! Actually I'm being cruel, it does have enough zip to overtake, but impressive it's not.
Would I buy one? No. it's old technology that has powered Toyota Prius models for a while in a car that was actually designed around traditional petrol and diesel drivetrains and it's a compromise. Toyota has updated the drivetrain for the next generation Prius and it's very evident when you drive one.
The car is 2016 on a '66 plate.

As the Auris is leased and goes back soon (not soon enough!) I test drove two other A Hybrids today.

First, the new Prius. Obviously a test drive is only going to give me impressions over a much shorter distance but first impressions are good.
The drivetrain is much better, barely noticeable transitions between electric/petrol/hybrid, and the car feels much more lively. Despite the futuristic electronics and dash board it drives like a traditional car. It rides better too and although I can't comment on it's handling I think it would be better than the Auris. Gone is the noise from the high revving engine as the CVT gearbox puts the engine into that zone. It just feels more mature. It's a bigger car than the Auris but doesn't feel it. It just feels normal.

Then I drove the new Hyundai Ioniq. This is much less futuristic and more traditional. It has more traditional styling, more traditional interior and a traditional gearbox with a six speed automatic. It drives very nicely actually feeling very much like a regular car. The major annoyance though. Pulling away from a dead stop, it feels as though the car is unsure what it wants to do, petrol? Hybrid? Or maybe full electric? Maybe this was me, after all this was the third hybrid I had driven in the space of an hour. But it seemed confused. Once on the move, the normal gearbox was very nice. Far superior to the CVT for my tastes and I suspect would really help on my hilly commute through the Cotswold's. I actually quite like it!

With regard to the tax. The Ioniq and the Auris are the same, the Prius is cheaper. As the tax changes over the next few years they will rise at the same rate. The Prius starts cheaper in tax than the other two, and stays lower over the same period. So in terms of tax, Prius wins.
When it comes to economy, again the Auris and Ioniq are similar. I suspect but don't know that the traditional gearbox will improve the economy over the CVT in the Auris, but suspect the new generation drivetrain in the new Prius wouldn't experience the same breathlessness on the hills anyway.
Price? Prius loses, by a not insignificant amount. And yes that is important as what ever is left out of my monthly company car allowance ends up in my salary so the cars value is important.

So which will I choose?
Not the Auris. I'll be glad when it goes back.
But out of the Ioniq and the Prius, I'm currently unsure....
Watch this space.

Last edited:
Wow, what a write up. Good to read. you could be a top gear presenter.

It sounds like you have more enjoyment in the Ioniq. Although very close.

I will be watching this space to see which way you go.

Wow, what a write up. Good to read. you could be a top gear presenter.

It sounds like you have more enjoyment in the Ioniq. Although very close.

I will be watching this space to see which way you go.

Thank you. I've always been good at writing things like that, and it helps when it's a subject I enjoy although I would do even better writing about muscles cars and not hybrids that sound like a golf cart!

I am leaning towards the Ioniq, but have this nagging doubt that the Prius is the daddy of the Hybrids and as it's on its 4th evolution and I would be choosing 2nd best by buying the Ioniq..

Got the one that works best for you and your needs, just because its on its 4th generation can be seen as a negative thing too, like they keep fixing things that they didn't fix in the previous generation.

In a few years when my Kia is due for chopping in, I will be considering a Hybrid or full battery car.

The new Prius is widely regarded as being much nicer to drive than its predecessors. The looks are appalling - I don't know what they were thinking! Not that the styling would be much of a consideration though. I think I would still choose the Ioniq out of the two, and I'd also consider the Kia Niro, which is the same underneath but with a more practical crossover-style body shape. There is a plug-in hybrid version of the Ioniq, which looks like an interesting option. I think the price is a bit higher though.

I would choose a hybrid over a diesel too, if I had to make that choice. Fortunately I don't have to worry though as my mileage is so low, and I don't have a company car!

The Prius gen 4 was certainly nicer to drive than the Auris which has the Prius gen 3 drivetrain.
But I just prefer the more conventional interior and styling of the Hyundai.
I still have 3 weeks to deliberate but if I was choosing tomorrow it would be the Ioniq!

Well, today is choice day. So what am I going to choose?
Surprisingly I have actually chosen the Hyundai Ioniq, but not a hybrid, the full electric!
Why? Well money plays a huge part. My firm are going to provide charging points and the car has a range of 150 miles whilst my daily commute is about 86. This means I can charge the car during the day at no cost to me and easily drive home and back into work the next day at zero cost to me! The tax is lower than the hybrid so I save again!
Even those times when I have to charge it at home won't cost that much and for longer runs I either plan my journey via charging points or take a pool car! And ifs it's not for work well we still have the Fiero and the Challenger.
It just remains for the initial purchase price to be worked out. The full EV Ioniq is outside of my budget but within it once government subsidies are taken into account.
Should be the first up the street with a '17' plate!!!!!

Lets hope you don't get court in the M25 car park and run out of power so instead of carrying a spare gallon of fuel it will be one of those solor panel recharging units to get you home lol,

go on then lets have pic of said car you are getting..

Lets hope you don't get court in the M25 car park and run out of power so instead of carrying a spare gallon of fuel it will be one of those solor panel recharging units to get you home lol,

go on then lets have pic of said car you are getting..

I'm not often on the M25 and virtually all motorway service stations have charging points that can go from empty to 85% charged in a couple of hours. I'll risk it for the financial savings.

IMG_1423.jpg

Did some maths today to check my decision.

Yearly fuel cost:
Hybrid - £2236
Electric - £815 (based on charging daily at home - remember they are going to put charging points in at work, so will be less)

Per mile:
Hybrid - £0.10
Electric - £0.024

Also remember that my tax bill is 50% less with the electric vs the hybrid.

As a car to use purely for work would you make any different choice?

Takes a while to charge the batteries.

Takes a while to charge the batteries.

Lol! I reckon that the car carrying cargo ship only comes over 4 times a year and brings all the Hyundai's and Kia's at once. Knowing my luck there is probably a ship on its way and I have to wait until the next one.

Wonder how pushable an electric car is?
I guess if you could push it, it would could charge the batteries from the energy recovered from the motors.

Always wondered if it feels like the car is in gear if you push an electric car.

And despite the original delivery date of July, the car is being delivered next Friday!!
It's perfect timing as the temporary Auris has to go back.... next Friday.

That's good timing then. Result!

Back