Camaro say's no

Brilliant, glad its looking good at the moment, hopefully that will be the end of that issue.

Well i was on my way to the Hayling Show after replacing the coolant sensor and all seemed good,,and the day ended up like this

Having been very busy with this n that time has not been on my side but i did get some diagnostic time last weekend so out came the timing light,power probe and volt meter.
After finding out a little on how this vehicle ticks my first check was for a spark by using the timing light.This test also proved that ignition system was working and the wiring to the ECU and up to the fuel pump relay was all good as the ignition module sends a signal to the ECU to power the fuel side.
A quick check of the switching of the relay proved good so on to the wiring to the pump,this also checked out ok with the volt meter and power probe so it was time to tackle the tank side of things.At this point the tank pump had been making some noise so was a little unsure where i was heading but i pressed on and removed the sender with pump and again used the power probe to direct feed pump and got nothing at all,,,,,,A sharp tap on the casing and the pump operated but sounding more like a worn out washer pump.A new one was ordered and is ready to be fitted when time allows,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks for posting update, well done for finding root course of problem, we love are car's even when they brake down

Glad you got there. Nice diagnosis. I think I may be doing the same thing with the 91 camaro soon. Suspecting pump.

Was the replacement pump a good price?

I changed mine in the Trans-Am many years ago after getting duff fuel. The petrol station had 2 diesel and 1 unleaded on the same pump. A couple of weeks later it was changed to 2 unleaded and 1 diesel, when I filled up the petrol pump made a few funny noticed, and aftter leaving the fuel station the car was bucking like a good one, less than a mile to home. After some investigation, looked inside the tank and amongst the clear fuel there was a few black balls of liquid about 5mm diameter rolling around in the bottom of the tank. Some were stuck to the fine filter on the pump too. Managed to extract all the crap with a tube, and changed the pump. went for a Walbro 255l/hr pump to cope with future mods at the time. Certainly wasn't to bad to change the pump once you get access to it. Now I know when the pump is working as you can hear it before you fire up.

Didn't you cut an access hole Dan? Probably easier than dropping the tank....?

Yes made an access hatch. Used a steel, cut out a square. Smoothed the edges and drilled about 20 holes around it, inserted low profile threaded inserts. Then 2mm black sticky back foam and then a metal plate screwed to it. I found that easier that dropping the tank on the driveway. I know some people are against the hole cutting method due to lose of strength.

It's up and running again so we will see how long for this time,,, I also decided to access the sender without tank removal and to be honest i don't see any harm in doing this as most of the tank pumps i have changed all have cover's in the floor to save removing the fuel tanks

Glad you got there. Nice diagnosis. I think I may be doing the same thing with the 91 camaro soon. Suspecting pump.

Was the replacement pump a good price?

I changed mine in the Trans-Am many years ago after getting duff fuel. The petrol station had 2 diesel and 1 unleaded on the same pump. A couple of weeks later it was changed to 2 unleaded and 1 diesel, when I filled up the petrol pump made a few funny noticed, and aftter leaving the fuel station the car was bucking like a good one, less than a mile to home. After some investigation, looked inside the tank and amongst the clear fuel there was a few black balls of liquid about 5mm diameter rolling around in the bottom of the tank. Some were stuck to the fine filter on the pump too. Managed to extract all the crap with a tube, and changed the pump. went for a Walbro 255l/hr pump to cope with future mods at the time. Certainly wasn't to bad to change the pump once you get access to it. Now I know when the pump is working as you can hear it before you fire up.

Dan
i have a pump left over from my efi conversion never used. can be used in line or in tank
martin

Back