Antminer Z9 Mini

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
Dabbling in the crypto currency mining again. I used to mine Zcash with my graphics card a few years back. I still had some funds in that account, but couldn't get it out until it reached a certain threshold. The value of ZCash has fallen from my other post it was £230 per unit and now its £61, its peak I saw was £700.
The GFX cars mining was was around 300 sol/s, and was earning around £1 a day. the value has dropped probably due to ASIC miners being available. I was looking at making an FPGA to mine zcash, and it was working, but wasn't profitable unless I have the FPGA design put into an ASIC and that is serious money.

So I invested in an Antminer Z9 Mini. This has a rate of 10,000sol/s, consumes 300watts. just plug it in set up addresses and off it goes earning crypto currencies. Used to be well over £500 to but, and I got a bargain at £140ish. or so I thought. At the current Zcash value is makes about £1 a day, but costs £1.11 in electric. There are other currencies, it mines the Equihash algorithm. The other coins are not profitable at this time either. So I will either sell it or wait for these crypto currencies to go up in value.
Antminer-Z9-Mini.jpg

This is the profitability calculator:- https://www.asicminervalue.com/miners/bitmain/antminer-z9-mini

Bit of a duff buy, I should have read more and not get some figures confused with the Antminer Z9 (the non 'mini' version is more powerful)

It’s not something I have ever looked into so my knowledge is zero. But it would seem there is no way to make that unit profitable?

Edit: although doesn’t your solar panels affect that running cost? Could you not do something to direct that free energy to the miner and use it only when power is free?

Yes, Solar energy would be the way, only to switch it on when the sun is out and generating enough energy to cover it. Could run this device for free, and loose no earnings on solar revenue.

The earnings are in ZEC (ZCash), so it makes around 0.0167 ZEC for example. Currently this equals £1 at the current exchange rate, but this 'could' be worth 10 times that or more in the future. So depending when you convert this currency back into £'s is when you really see the profit/loss. The value may drop. So far this year I have seen it at £80, its currently £60 per unit of ZEC

Managed to sell the device. :)
I think I would have had to turn it on and off when the sun came out or wait for mining to be worth while again which may not every happen, therefore this device will have less and less value. So at least I got money from from selling it.

Back