Another Pontiac!

Will

Core Member
Well...the ol Firebird ain't gonna be ready for a good few cruises yet and I couldn't bear to watch you lot and not be part of it! So I managed to find another Yank!
She's a 1991 3.1 V6 Auto : Pontiac Grand Prix SE
(Sorry about the small pictures!)
View attachment 1015View attachment 1016

Them pictures are small.
That will get you about, dosn't look too bad, I dont think I've ever seen one of them before. I saw a White Grand-Am in Worthing but they are slightly different. Does it have 4 doors to help with child seat?

Thats great Will at least you won't be stood on the side lines!

Hi Guys

Yeah, thanks. It?s not too bad and is still orignal and quite clean. It is front wheel drive, but you wouldn?t know from driving it really. Although you would if you tried to drift it! lol (Not that I would ever try that of course! :innocent:)

No, it?s a 2 door Dan, but funny you should say that about the child seat. The front seatbelts are attached to the doors! So it is very difficult to belt the child in with the passenger door open and you have to do it from the drivers seat. But there is more room in the back for a childs seat than in a Firebird though!
I think its the same shell as a Buick and something else?

Needs a couple of jobs doing. It has a little oil drip from somewhere and there are a couple of warning lights on the dashboard (ABS and check engine). But it drives fine. The bloke said his mechanic told him that the lights are because of dodgey sensors or connections.

Actually, I don?t suppose your OBD gear would connect to it would it Dan? Might give me some pointers re-the warning lights if it does.

Actually, I don’t suppose your OBD gear would connect to it would it Dan? Might give me some pointers re-the warning lights if it does.

May be, I have Auto-Tap to read codes. Its OBD-II. I have read codes from a 2004 Vauxhall Corsa which I think was the beginning of OBD-II, not too sure when the americans implemented it. Looks like 91 was just OBD. It may be like my '89 3rd gen where you need to short some wires together in the plug to cause the services engine light to flash, its like Morse code, giving 2 digits that you can look up.
OBB-I only really deals with emissions and fuel injection.
This is what wires to link to read the codes http://www.obd-codes.com/faq/read-gm-2-digit-obd-codes-free.php
Once you know the number, there will be a place to look up what it means. i remember having code 34, which was oxygen sensor.

Thanks for the info Dan, that's great :clap: I will have a look over the weekend if I get time and will let you know.

That's ironic that you mentioned Corsas. Joe's old 1999 V reg Corsa is on my drive and has a problem where it won't rev properly. He put it on their basic OBD hand unit where he works, but it showed no codes. When you drive the Corsa though, the engine light comes on momentarily...strange.
Would your gear show live data from the sensors such as Oxygen and MAF signals etc?

I don't think my kit can do that on an older Corsa. May be worth a shot if the plug fits. If his plug looks the same as yours, then I wont be able to plug in.

However there is a garage I done a website for http://www.clarksautoservice.co.uk they have a scanner that fits, it may do some logging I'm not sure.

not bad car

Thanks Mason. I have added it to the garage section now if you wanted a better look. The pictures are a bit bigger!

looks nice will

I just had a look at the bigger pics and it looks good, I like the headlights :thumbup1:

Thanks Darren. Yes, it's not the best shaped car in the world really, but does look quite mean at the front!

Your pic of the front doesn't half look like a particular Ford Thunderbird, which I do like, was considering one at one point, right down to the shape of the bumper with the scoops in.

Your pic of the front doesn't half look like a particular Ford Thunderbird, which I do like, was considering one at one point, right down to the shape of the bumper with the scoops in.

Hi Mark. Yes, I think a few cars did have a similar look at the time (as they often do). It was the look of the front that made me go for it really. But I am glad I did anyway, it is quite a nice drive. The only thing letting it down is the little oil leak, which I think may be coming from the inlet manifold.

Back