A stupid questio but I'm not 100% sure

minniewinnie

Core Member
My caddy cut out on me tonight and then the on board computer came up with service fuel system so could it be any or all the below?

1 is it a major problem ( It did stutter a bit earlier in the day)
2 needs new fuel filter (I have never changed one or know where to look for it)
3 Injector related (been down that road with one of my other American cars cost me a fortune that time)
4 Just need a fuel flush/treatment thing put in
5 Fuel pump?
Hoping it just a filter needs replacing and not the fuel system
Thanks for any Thoughts

I'd try the stuff you put in the fuel to clean the fuel system and injectors first.

I once has a fuel problem in mine. Went to a garage on the Milton road, its no longer there now, and filled up, the week before when I filled up there was 2 diesel pumps and one unleaded, but that day there was 2 unleaded and one diesel. The car drove home fine, but it did stutter a bit the next day. Thinking the pump was going or something. Anyway, it got worse, the pump starting whining. i got a new pump ordered which came in a few days (yeah makes a change for my parts better than 15 weeks) I gut an access hatch to the tank in the boot as I wasn't going to drop the axels and lower the tank. On inspection inside the tank there was little black balls rolling around the bottom of my tank. It was oil at the bottom of the tank and around the pump filter. I sucked it out and fitted new pump. Its all been fine since. The petrol station probably didn't clean out the tanks properly which would have cost me loads if I went to a garage. After many phone calls to the petrol station manager and going up higher it came back to the answer of, 'when it has left the pump it is no longer their responsibility' even though they delivered contaminated fuel.

Hopefully your problem will just be minor like it needs a clean. Injectors are simple to change any not too costly either.

It completely died this morning on s bad T junction does not want to know starting wise so with help from another motorist we pushed it clear of the junction Had a good look around the car for anything obvious leaks etc etc but nothing. Checked fuses and swapped relay for fuel pump and still nothing..Phoned my mot garage and they gave me a number for another friend of mine who does recovery who came out a picked it up and took t to my dads place just up the road from where it was so now just have to fiqure out Whats wrong with it.... OH and the wife wont let me use her car Humph

Well it sounds more like a pump / relay, or something along them lines. If it was an injector, or lambda sensor, it would just run bad. To cut out its gotta be something else. there is a crank position sensor which can also stop the car from starting I've heard of these go before, not sure what is a common fault with a caddy is. Could even be a factory immobiliser playing up.

Hope you get it sorted.

Was just making enquirers in case it was the fuel pump
I just Had some quotes for just a fuel pump for my car from well known UK suppliers Glad I was sitting down... Cheapest was ?270+ Vat going up to over ?400+vat....

Glad I buy my parts from the USA Fuel pump+filter and a relay total price including shipping and VAT ?150 for the lot
Rock auto's ROCK :)

Right ho have been checking wires and fuses There seems to be no power to the 20amp fuse for the fuel pump(which should according to the book be hot all the time) which is the feed for the fuel relay.
so bypassed the fuse and relay and took a wire from battery to the power out terminal on the relay and the pump started to run BUT car still wont start? or even try... Mmmmmm At least its not the pump? Lol

I given up as it beyond me so its going to the garage for his sparky to have a look on Thursday( Probably be something silly that I have missed ? ) It will then be possibly going on E bay to fund my day van But Dont know yet

Sorry to hear that you are having troubles with the Caddy Andy. It makes you very disheartened and just wanna get rid of it doesn't it. We have been like that with the Camaro and Dad is going through it with the Corvette now. They are fun toys when playing nicely but you just want to put a sledge hammer through the roof when misbehaving. I hope you get it sorted or perhaps sold so you can get your day van. (I had a look at it on ebay and it looks ssweeettttt!!!!)

Sorry to hear that you are having troubles with the Caddy Andy. It makes you very disheartened and just wanna get rid of it doesn't it. We have been like that with the Camaro and Dad is going through it with the Corvette now. They are fun toys when playing nicely but you just want to put a sledge hammer through the roof when misbehaving. I hope you get it sorted or perhaps sold so you can get your day van. (I had a look at it on ebay and it looks ssweeettttt!!!!)

Sounds like we need insurance against angry Tracey's with sledge hammers. lol

Yeah i know what you mean though.

He cleared all the codes and tried to start the car and the only code thats coming up now is P0603 which is Control Module Long Term Memory Reset. So does that mean its forgot what it supposed to be or the ECU gone bad and needs replacing?

Many things are stored in memory, many of which are to so with self tuning. Like fuel trims, as you drive it records how much fuel it should add or take away depending on engine load and RPM. If this memory is cleared it needs to relearn, it will do this all by itself. There is no need to worry about the memory being cleared, I used to clear it every couple of days when I was tuning.

Back