3rd gen value

Some are creeping up. Trans-Am GTA's, IROC Z28's etc.
They still need to be something limited production to be worth much it seems. Of course manuals and modified cars are the exception. A well modded 3rd gen seems to fetch more, with an LSx for example. The 3rd gens were just a victim of emaciated engines and emissions controls and low compression, that started in the mid 70's and they didn't really start putting performance back in until the very late 80's.

You thinking about a change?

Possibly,I am currently claiming PPI,having had two VERY good payoff's from Barclays i am now looking at other past lenders so depending on the outcome i may look at something different

Really depends on what's about and how much i possibly get.I like you get all soggy at the sight of a 2nd gen but it would have to be the right car and price,,,,but if it's a decent pay then interest would be else where

You're right, something about the lines, looks, and character of a 2nd gen Pontiac f-body that just lights my fire. But I tried re-visiting and the relationship was over in a year. And whilst I keep dreaming about a classic 2nd gen with LSx conversion and decent suspension, steering and brakes I don't think I will ever do it.

Its interesting to compare the different brands. Of the top three;
Ford - never been interested in them but plenty do so I'm sure if thats what you are after then people on here can help.
GM - the difference in quality between f-body's and y-body's is remarkable, but what I have noticed is that GM electronics seem to be quite unreliable. From sensors to solid state electronics, even genuine GM fitment (AC Delco) vs aftermarket (ie Standard) they just seem to fail with regularity. Can't comment on anything other than f & Y bodies but I'm fairly certain the electronic issues won't be unique.
Mopar - So far so good. Approaching 2 years of ownership now and the quality is excellent.

Whilst I might consider a high end Vette in the future, I'm much more likely to stick with Dodge, Viper/Challenger/Charger but my preference is for modern stuff these days....

Last edited:
Agree with that statement,I like older Ford models in general and Mopar but not their price tag.New stuff is getting common place i notice but would go new Mopar if money was there.2nd gen,,well with them now falling into the free tax bracket that is making the price tag higher and as you know i do like stock over modded so my market could be limited.While my RS is fine i don't feel enthused to spend on it to improve as it's not likely to be my ultimate in US motoring.Driving for a living these days i want to be able to get in and enjoy at a weekend

Had the T/A for 16 years now, electrically its been good. I believe I'm on my 3rd battery. O2 sensors maybe swapped out every 5 years. Electric door motors seem to give up. changed the drivers side twice and passenger side once so far. Rear axle a few times, front wheel bearing, other wheels berating is original. I've given the car a harsh life, and it still lives.

My 3rd Gen was only 10 years old when had some dizzy electrical issues.

I guess i have been pretty lucky with the car. No major issues, apart from the engine rebuild, but that was probably brought on prematurely by changing other bits.

I can comment on reliability of other vehicles as not owned anything else as long as the T/A.

Some are creeping up. Trans-Am GTA's, IROC Z28's etc.
They still need to be something limited production to be worth much it seems. Of course manuals and modified cars are the exception. A well modded 3rd gen seems to fetch more, with an LSx for example. The 3rd gens were just a victim of emaciated engines and emissions controls and low compression, that started in the mid 70's and they didn't really start putting performance back in until the very late 80's.

You thinking about a change?

Not got the BIG payout but with some number crunching it is possible that a change is in the pipeline

So are you going to go gooey over a 2nd gen or take the plunge into something different?
I still love 2nd gen Firebird/TA’s but don’t regret my move of stable to Dodge.

Come on Graeme - spill the beans - whatya gonna get? :)

My bet is a Morris Marina in dog shit brown, with a vinyl roof, velour upholstery and a square steering wheel!

Yuck yuck yuck :poop:

My bet is a Morris Marina in dog shit brown, with a vinyl roof, velour upholstery and a square steering wheel!

Yuck yuck yuck :poop:

ooooh nasty! (sorry to anyone that owns one!!)

I had a morris marina 1.3 estate my 1st car and look where that got me lol,,,,,

hOPE HE'S NOT GETTING A hellcat SO COMMON NOW DAYS LOL,,,,

I have a few ideas - lets see if I'm right :)

Back