?1500ish to spend, what to buy??

MRKRYS69

Core Member
After a bit of persuasion a friend of mine has decided to sell his MX5 and join the Renegades way of life.

Once the Mazda is sold, and with a bit of cash he has he is looking at having about ?1500 to spend, and would like an American 'sports' model, Question is what?

Looking at what is around the choice is between a Camaro V8 or a Firebird V6 both around the 1990 era, as this will be used as an everyday car which would fellow drivers reccomend? He doesn't do alot of mileage, so fuel economy isn't a big factor, this is more a question of which car is better??

Answers on a Digital Postcard to:

pressthereplybuttonandtellmewhatyouthink@Solent-renegades.co.uk

V8 and welcome to the club

go for 86-90 3rd gen firebird v8 tpi these are great first yanks and pretty good on fuel .

Regardless of whether it's a Camaro or Firebird, V8 is a must :D They're both pretty much the same car, so they'll both work fine (which should be a given as they're not Fords ;))

...just glad he's not after another bloody day van :lol:

Regardless of whether it's a Camaro or Firebird, V8 is a must :D They're both pretty much the same car, so they'll both work fine (which should be a given as they're not Fords ;))

...just glad he's not after another bloody day van :lol:

Nothing wrong with Fords mate!! As for another Day van, it serves its purpose.

Only Firebirds he can find in his price range are V6s though.

I had my V6 Firebird for 7 years, a good runner, very reliable. Used it as an every day car, doing about 10k miles a year. It was a very enjoyable car, and at times I regret selling it. If only I could have kept it and ran both cars. Didn't have to change much on it in all that time, obviously tyres, spark plug oil/air filters over that time. Did have to buy a new power steering pump, but that was because I has a small leak in the power steering box, and it ran for a short time with no fluid. I also had to change the alternator. Over all very little parts were purchased in them 7 years.

nothing wrong with a v6 firebird , even a 2.8 firebird is 100x better than some eurobox jap crap :smile:

Problem solved, Tom has today bought a V8 Camaro Iroc for ?800!!
Some of you would have met him at last Club Meet.
Hopefully he will be joining the site soon.

WE need proof pictures and more pictures .

Nicked this one off his facebook

418042_10150864976894348_585579347_12688466_526357201_n.jpg

Although it is yet to be confirmed as an Iroc and not just a replica. Spec seems to match up with being a 20th anniversary Iroc in which case he is one Lucky Bas**rd.

It is not road legal yet, has been sat 3 years due to previous owners back injury. Plans are to have it Mot'd and on the road for April 1st.

Last edited:
Nice very lucky person, and for ?800 even more lucky . even if you have to spend a few hundred on it still worth it

Fresh fuel and she was running in no time.

From what I have seen of it, a couple of patches of welding, free the brakes off as currently binding from being sat, and a bit of a service and she will be cool.

Even got an expensive CD player in it....damn, coulda sold him one!!

Wow thats great. Where am i when these great finds come along. Well lets hope she is up and running in no time ready for the new season. And tell your mate he is more then welcome to come along.

Tom has now joined, so check out the welcome section, and say Hi!!

Back