Windows 8 on its way out.

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
Just came across this article:-Saying Goodbye To Windows 8 | TechCrunch

Looking after the computers at work, and a few other companies, I keep advising to stick to Windows7. However they brought a couple of new computers, and of couse they only come with Windows 8. The big problem with Windows 8, it is designed for the mobile market, like a phone or a tablet, not a full PC in an office environment. I think Microsoft made a big mistake rolling this out on to PC's. If you want to add a new printer, that didn't automatically pop up when it plugged in you have to jump though hoops to go being the scenes, as well as setting a fixed IP address if you wanted too. All the configuration stuff is hidden away. I guess that's good for the end user if nothing goes wrong, but nothing runs smooth. Also the lack of a start menu is a big draw back in my opinion.
I'm glad Microsoft have listened to the many people who also say Windows 8 isn't fit for use apart from on tablets and phones, and they are going to bring out Windows 9 with more of a fell like Windows 7 :) I think they can put down Windows8 and a big evolution mistake. I suppose you gotta try something different now and again to see if it takes off.

On computers yes, it's not great. But on tablets and phones it works so well. I can't see they'll ditch this format for mobiles and tablets.

I don't think they will ditch it for mobile devices as that's what its made for, they are ditching it for PC as its not really fit for purpose.

But it's a piece of cake to make Windows 8 look identical to Windows 7.
I agree Windows 8 is much more suited to a mobile device out the box, but Microsoft is unlikely to repeat the XP vs Vista scenario and end support for the later product first. Therefore, a business that is likely to expect maximum return on its investment should be buying Windows 8.

Back