Website migration to Xenforo

What's all that forign stuff at the bottom of the 'Whats new' page?
To be removed, some spam posts that got imported in from the last forum. I'll fix that now.

Hi
Well done with this. it seems to be much more user friendly forum than the last website, although I haven't looked at it properly yet in any detail. I suspect you'll still get the same questions from people whe can't be bothered to read the whole thread, like Where are we meeting? What time are we meeting? Are we still meeting after Brexit?, but as Douglas Adams said "Never underestimate the inventiveness of complete fools"
Hi, good to hear from you. Hope you are keeping well.
Yes I'm sure we will get those questions, even when I post events on facebook of meeting times and places I still get questions of where we are meeting.
Still learning about the forum myself, tweaking things, and working out best ways to use things. It will build up with more content.

To be removed, some spam posts that got imported in from the last forum. I'll fix that now.
Fixed. The profile posts were from a couple of years ago, just spam ones.

I'll have a good look about and see if I can get it to crash and if I can post pictures etc. I think the FB effect may not help, people don't look at posts in any depth. Not sure what the answer is, however, I've got an idea.

I'll have a good look about and see if I can get it to crash and if I can post pictures etc. I think the FB effect may not help, people don't look at posts in any depth. Not sure what the answer is, however, I've got an idea.
We used to have many more users until they went to Facebook. Facebook is so easy to use but it us full of rubbish. So my thought was if I could get something simple to use, would users come back..

Spam post blocking is working awesome. Usernames and IP addresses are checked, they dodgy ones are put in a queue to be approved and the reason why they are there(the block list which flagged it up). I can then say treat as spam and remove or let it in.

Some clubs (Hayling Legends, SADCASE) send out monthly e-mail newsletters giving details of events and shows, club news, for sale items etc to club members. I wonder whether there would be a way of creating a bulk mailing list to members to let people know what was going on and hopefully draw them back into the fold and to look at the improved website? A lot of clubs don't even have a web presence outside of FB which can put people off because, as you say, there is so much rubbish on FB people get bored of using it. At least this way you have the chance of drawing people in without them having to deal with the usual FB nonsense.

Send out monthly e-mail newsletters giving details of events and shows, club news, for sale items etc to club members.
Yes certainly a good idea. I'll get something going along them lines. The newsletter to have links back to the website too.

1 year on since we switched from Vbullletin to Xenforo. Where does the time go.
Impressed with xenforo, less resources required from the server and seems to give us what we need for a website/forum.

Last edited:
There is a new version of Xenforo, its been a year so the 1 year of upgrades have expired. Just renewed them now and upgraded. There has been a few security fixes. I think the editor for posting is slightly different. On the hole everything should pretty much work the same.
Ley me kow if anyone encounters any new issues.

I have noticed that I no longer receive e-mails of latest posts. As I check my e-mail more often than web sites for conveinience, is this due to the new upgrade?

I have noticed that I no longer receive e-mails of latest posts. As I check my e-mail more often than web sites for conveinience, is this due to the new upgrade?
Ah, yes, I will look into that. The email feature is a plugin from another place. Had to be disabled during the upgrade. I'll see if there is a new version of it or perhaps the new Xenforo has it built in. I'll get it enabled again one way or another.

Should be good now Chris. Upgraded all the plugins apart from the 'Email Queue Enhancement' as there was no upgrade for this one yet. This was installed to inspect an issue some time ago. Unistalled this and looking at the email log it is now sending out email's when a post is replied to that have been subscribed to.
Thanks for letting me know about this. It could have gone unnoticed for some time.

Good fix! Well done Dan.

Looks like similar issues in the original switch to Xenforo to what we had recently.
I have this thread on the watched list, so an ideal test to verify emails on a thread update.

You seem to have cracked it this time, just the one notification.

Well done Dan!

Back