Temperature Sensor on the Trans-Am

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
View attachment 23090A couple of years back myself and Paul changed the engine mounts on the car. The temperature sensor was knocked, taking off the plastic housing. So all i was left with was a couple of prongs.The female connector would almost make contact, enough to get me home.
Once I got it home I made up some wires that I could poke in the holes, and used some small crimps to go to the pins coming out of the sensor. I ordered a new sensor which came within a week. The mod worked well for a couple of years so i didn't get around to fitting the replacement sensor, Well today the joint has become intermittent. Tried re-securing it, and but just feels a bit loose.
Had a look in the spare room and in the garage for the replacement sensor, but can i find it, noo. I have moved house twice since I purchased the part. It was delivered to work, but I was sure I took it home to keep with my other spare parts, like the 11 spare headlamps.
so I have tidied up around my desk. I done this some time ago as i was looking for the sensor then too. Well right behind a computer that hasn't been used for a long long time. I see this Blue and Red APC over night bag. That look familiar. I didn't want to get over excited in case it was empty. I reach towards the back to grab it and could feel the sensor inside.
View attachment 23089After taking this photo, my phone uploaded it to Google goggles, read the bar code and told me exactly what the sensor is, and what it fits. How amazing is that.

19mm spanner needed to pop it in, so I have borrowed one from the tools section. Just need to make a phone call then I will pop it in there :)

The car has cut out a few times and decelerated really quick as the sensor is intermittent, if it thinks its cold it dumps in loads of fuel. Open circuit is like -40deg C. So really running bad, its not drivable.

I knew it was at least a couple of years ago I ordered the sensor. Well just found the invoice for it, it was 28 Sept 2009.
I really must get round to putting things on the car, as that's almost 4 years it took me to pop that in.

Back