Standard Radio

Jumbot

Could anyone advise me to what the standard Radio should be in my 2004 kj 2.8CRD Auto Jeep? Someone has wired in a Normal Panasonic Radio CD player with USB interface, but all I want is the normal radio with CD I find them so much better quality wise, and the finger controls on the steering wheel are very useful!! ive done some research and come up with two possibilities, its either one with Radio CD and Cassette, or one with Radio and CD? So if anyone is in the know, or even would like a swap, please speak up, the Panasonic has the proper fascia with it so it fits the slightly larger Jeep hole

mybe use e.bay or autotrader google you car via these site as adverts with show hopfuly the inside of car and will help you find what type you are looking for then you can google what you found in advert if that makes sence???

YUP, been there done that LOL, it appears sellers are fairly unscrupulous on what they reckon fits, I have a Chrysler Voyager 2.5CRD left over from our time in France, which my Son was using, he returned it after 3 years and after a quick service my daughter now runs it, slightly tempted to nick the radio from that, but then would have both my wife and daughter moaning at me,

Finally got a radio and applied for a code, which I got, useful chap on e bay gives you the original codes for 99p but they only work if the radio has not been recoded, for 99p it was worth it!! Thanks to the people above who pointed me in the right direction, however on removing the Pioneer unit we found the aerial wire had been cut, and a normal male end crudely grafted to it, back to e bay to search for Chickens Teeth, in the form of the short aerial wire from the O/S Screen pillar to the radio, I personally have never seen a connection like it on the back of the genuine radio, however we found one and connected up.

The problem, I can tune into what I would call good signal stations, radio two classic etc, anything above 99 on the FM BAND sounds weak and multiple stations? it seems when the radio warms up, occasionally the stations like wave 105.2 will appear, have I bought a duff radio?

Yeah, could be the antenna. I'd say check also that the connector you've bought is definitely the correct type and is pushed hard together. The weak stations symptom sounds like the antenna may not be connecting properly.

if its a non uk radio ie american or jap you need to fit a fm expander about 5quid on e bay my 1st jap import needed the fm expander my mustang only gets raido 2 as dosnt go higher in the fm range never bothed me as dont use the radio that much don't know how its effects the modern imports??? but as others have said could be ariel related as well as old ariels were just a metel wire or long short ariels with limted range .

Thanks for the replies, I have tried a normal aerial old fashioned cheap as chips concertina one and still get no proper signal, retried the Pioneer unit and all works, so looks to be a duff radio

Got the daughter to bring the Voyager up, pinched the radio from that and all works well, put the duff one in the voyager and apart from inserting the wrong code and having to wait it didnt work, so conclusive proof one duff unit

That's a shame - can you return it?

Yes hopefully, have sent the e mail, here's hoping

Got in touch with the seller, and received a full refund, didn't want the old radio back, soooooooo I pulled it apart, hoping to find a fried capacitor or the likes, nuffink nowt visible, hey ho

77305658_527147818141205_4416821612746113024_n.jpg78423674_1365803370288379_7772698905090719744_n.jpg78199282_718632561960875_1605059497905094656_n.jpg

Last edited:
Is the radio American? The reason I ask is that the Sony radio in my Pontiac Grand Prix is from the USA and was probably fitted over there before the car was imported. The digital display only tunes to frequencies ending with an odd number! So for example it will tune to 97.5 (which is Heart where I live), but not 98.2 (Radio 1). Those stations it cannot tune to exactly sound low level and distorted. I am not sure if USA VHF broadcast stations still operate like this (therefore current radios too). My Grand Prix is 2002 remember. Might be worth checking this though.

The radios are simular to what is fitted in America, but the VHF unit can be set to any frequency, whilst on the bay of flea I did notice a lot of radio CD's advertised for sale and postage set for here, surely the CD unit is incompatible, or is that only for DVD's?

Is it region one and two, I think we are two?