Simply American car show @ Beaulieu 16/08

Added to Calendar: 16-08-20

Just have to navigate the forest on a Sunday morning....... Hands up how many of us will there be?
We will be leaving rownhams services, time to be arranged, so you don't need to navigate on your own. Looking like 5 cars from on here and around 4 other Pontiacs going so far. Numbers are going up.

No offence, but if had that sort of spare dough, it would be spent on nice Bandit TA :cool:

Have you ever driven one? I have. I’ve had three 2nd gens and whilst I love them to bits (although a bandit would not be my first choice) the driving experience is not good. I want a fast, well handling car that stops and that description does not apply to any stock 2nd gen.
The Challenger is by far the closest in spirit to a 70’s Pontiac without any of the drawbacks. If you had the money you get to spend it on what you like, just like I did.

Have you ever driven one? I have. I’ve had three 2nd gens and whilst I love them to bits (although a bandit would not be my first choice) the driving experience is not good. I want a fast, well handling car that stops and that description does not apply to any stock 2nd gen.
The Challenger is by far the closest in spirit to a 70’s Pontiac without any of the drawbacks. If you had the money you get to spend it on what you like, just like I did.
No, I've never driven either. But I can imagine what a 2nd gen must be like. My standard 3rd gen isn't great to drive either really.
I say the Bandit TA because for me, it's about it's association with the movie, it's road presence, head turning ability when driving, attention at shows...and that shape :love:.
I would be happy to keep the driving experience of acceleration, braking and general handing to a separate car. For that I would go for a tuned Mitsubishi Evolution...which remains by far the quickest and most twitchy thing I have driven as yet.

I would be happy to keep the driving experience of acceleration, braking and general handing to a separate car. For that I would go for a tuned Mitsubishi Evolution...which remains by far the quickest and most twitchy thing I have driven as yet.

Then you and I are at polar odds. I want my special car to be the one that excites and the everyday car to be the boring one. And for me a Mitsubishi Evo along with everything else like it is just daily transport.
Typical jap crap that qualifies as transport not as something that I desire to own. Perhaps you should try something modern and American?

Then you and I are at polar odds. I want my special car to be the one that excites and the everyday car to be the boring one. And for me a Mitsubishi Evo along with everything else like it is just daily transport.
Typical jap crap that qualifies as transport not as something that I desire to own. Perhaps you should try something modern and American?
That's unusual of us AT!!! Lol :LOL:. Just joking, it's always good to debate :). Seriously, I know what you mean... it's a shame that the car that I love and would want to be seen in would be an awful drive lol. I refer to the Evo only for the pure driving experience and I will say do try one of you get the chance. It's no surprise they conquered rallying! If I could afford a Jay Leno style garage, the Evo would be in it..along with many others you would probably cringe at :LOL:
Sure, I would like to try a modern Yank.
Actually, I remember seeing a YouTube video featuring a Bandit TA which had been brought up to today's handling standard...rack and pinion steering, a complete revamp of the suspension and more power. It was from a company who build them. I can't remember their name. It was crazy expensive but that would probably fit the bill.

Sure, I would like to try a modern Yank.
Actually, I remember seeing a YouTube video featuring a Bandit TA which had been brought up to today's handling standard...rack and pinion steering, a complete revamp of the suspension and more power. It was from a company who build them. I can't remember their name. It was crazy expensive but that would probably fit the bill.

And that’s it! I’m familiar with the few people who have modernised 2nd gens. I spent ages talking with Dave Hall from Restore a Musclecar * about the work he does. I didn’t do it due to cost. But then thought I would do it myself and that was the project I started with the 10th Anniversary TA. I very soon realised that even then the costs would far out strip the budget. I even cut corners, accepting compromises that I knew I would regret and still the budget wasn’t close. Yes the Scatpack wasn’t cheap at £40k+ but you cannot build a 2nd gen to compete for less, and for me an old one has the styling but that’s it. The driving experience is much more important to me.

* Dave Hall is well known in the field of both restoring and modernising Muscle Cars. He was responsible for the Bandit recreations I think you are referring too. I met and discussed options with him way back in 2008 at the Trans Am Nationals in Dayton Ohio. His Bandit recreations are now selling for $200000+ on the used car market.

And that’s it! I’m familiar with the few people who have modernised 2nd gens. I spent ages talking with Dave Hall from Restore a Musclecar * about the work he does. I didn’t do it due to cost. But then thought I would do it myself and that was the project I started with the 10th Anniversary TA. I very soon realised that even then the costs would far out strip the budget. I even cut corners, accepting compromises that I knew I would regret and still the budget wasn’t close. Yes the Scatpack wasn’t cheap at £40k+ but you cannot build a 2nd gen to compete for less, and for me an old one has the styling but that’s it. The driving experience is much more important to me.

* Dave Hall is well known in the field of both restoring and modernising Muscle Cars. He was responsible for the Bandit recreations I think you are referring too. I met and discussed options with him way back in 2008 at the Trans Am Nationals in Dayton Ohio. His Bandit recreations are now selling for $200000+ on the used car market.
Jesus! I knew they were expensive but... wow! Thanks for the name of the guy. To be honest, I expect an original one could be very much improved over standard to a point that I would find more "tolerable" to drive. For what I would use it for (shows and cruises), there would be no need for it to be particularly quick...for me anyway.

Last edited:
So back on topic (but thanks for the debate about the 2nd gen well i would being a owner lol ) 500 cars being limit ? so 500 plus people more if partners tag along is event open to the public as well so even more people so will the distancing rule be able to aply masks be warn? some of the indoor show areas be no access? due to limit space and what if like some of the pubs in the news that have now opened but now closed due to virus being court in pub possiblly ? what happens and how do you feel if that happens here ? sorry to be doom and gloom just dont feel ready yet it'ss still out there and here the news wearther scare mingering or not the numbers seem to be going back up hopefully will not happen here in the uk , ok you can go back of topic again lol,,,,

I'm sure somewhere like Beaulieu would follow the law closely. They opened to the public a few weeks ago. The limit on people is down to the covid restrictions. They will control how many people are in the museum at one time. Just gotta use some common sence and keep a gap from people. (unlike the numpties that head for a packed beach or protest in cities)

They (especially someone like Beaulieu) wouldn't put something like this on if they hadn't got the necessary authorisation for it to run). Again it's common sense :)

Ditto, Beaulieu will be on it for sure. It will be as safe there as it can be... it's then down to the visitors.
Same here, we will take our usual precautions as throughout this whole thing... we've not caught it yet...he says...tempting fate...(if you believe in that! lol).
I agree, it's about common sense. I feel sure the virus flare ups we've see were because of the lack of it!

YOLO! Whilst it’s ideal to live as long as possible, hiding away to avoid risk is not living. It’s an existence and whilst all responsible people have done it during COVID-19 there comes a time when you have to weigh the risk against sensible precautions and continue living.

YOLO! Whilst it’s ideal to live as long as possible, hiding away to avoid risk is not living. It’s an existence and whilst all responsible people have done it during COVID-19 there comes a time when you have to weigh the risk against sensible precautions and continue living.
So...you'll go if it rains then? ;):p

if it rains he will get his car dirty he cant use ppe on his car lol,,,,

Back