Record tempratures in Australia

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
Its summer in Aus, and it gets pretty hot there. On the weather section of BBC news this morning they were saying how hot it is in Australia, and its unsually hot with record tempratures. They seemed amazed by it.

Then the next article they talked about the forest fires in Australia, and showed on the map that about half the countries forest is up in flames.

If only they brought these stories together, perhaps with half the country being on fire, would that conctribute to the unusually high tempratures down there!?!?

Oi...I'll be mocking all you climate change non-believers when most of our seaside towns are waste deep in water!! :giggle:

Oi...I'll be mocking all you climate change non-believers when most of our seaside towns are waste deep in water!! :giggle:
You have a boat, so you will be okay.
May have to look at an electric outboard motor instead of a car.

You have a boat, so you will be okay.
May have to look at an electric outboard motor instead of a car.
True enough haha.
Yeah! Could be an idea. My boat pollutes just as bad as most cars at the moment..probably worse due to its age! ?

Re- charging would interesting. An electric extension cable that pops out the chimney where your house used to be and plugs in perhaps?
They will probably have plug sockets on wind turbines that you can charge up your boat from.

All joking aside, electric outboards are available. They are basically just an electric motor with a propeller and with long cables to connect to a marine battery inside the boat. But they are very small and low powered and are only meant for fishing on rivers and inshore waters.
I would think that larger engined electric boats for the leisure market are on the way though.

If the fishing boat, “Orca” in Jaws had been battery powered and ran out mid chase the movie would have been considerably shorter!

....and Titanic might not have reached the iceberg! :unsure:

Actually, I think the biggest issue to overcome with a small electric boat with any performance might be the weight of the batteries.

Ironically, after
....and Titanic might not have reached the iceberg! :unsure:

Actually, I think the biggest issue to overcome with a small electric boat with any performance might be the weight of the batteries.
Ironically, after posting this I read that a group of ship owners have announced plans for a £3.8billion plan to design zero emissions vessels! Apparently, shipping is responsible for 3% of global CO2 emissions.
Although environmentalist welcome the move, they are saying it's too little, too late.

It’s a little known fact that most of the smog in Los Angeles is directly attributable to shipping. Cargo ships from 3rd world countries moor just outside the LA basin for days at a time waiting for the owner of the goods to send it in for unloading. They wait for the commodity price to rise.
The ships are held outside the LA basin under power and all the diesel smoke and fumes are blown into LA and then contained there by the mountains to the north and east.

It’s a little known fact that most of the smog in Los Angeles is directly attributable to shipping. Cargo ships from 3rd world countries moor just outside the LA basin for days at a time waiting for the owner of the goods to send it in for unloading. They wait for the commodity price to rise.
The ships are held outside the LA basin under power and all the diesel smoke and fumes are blown into LA and then contained there by the mountains to the north and east.
Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. You're talking some pretty large diesel engines too...and many as you say using old technology :(

Back