Possible rear diff on its way out.

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
Well as most of you know I give the car a hard time and many of you are surprised its still going, but it is Chevy based not Ford. :whistling:

Well last night, I went to leave a friends house, bumping down off a grass verge and the car ground out. Left rear on concrete, right rear on grass. The right rear would keep spinning in forward or reverse, but no movement from the rear left. After using cardbaord and carpet under the wheel, still no movement. Eventually some people came out a house from up the road and gave me a push to get it moving.

I know when I light the tyres up I can leave 11's on the road, but why doing 5mph on grass one wheel spin? is this mormal as the other isn't moving at all, and perhaps the rear diff locks when both moving. I'm not too sure how it should work. Its an LSD thats fitted. Done 150,000 miles, has oil in the diff, perhaps its worn out now.

Come to think of it, when driving down a normal road and I accelerate a little it does tend to go to the left, which may make you think the rear right is driving the car. Maybe it comes and goes.

Time for a new rear diff me thinks.:frusty:

Dan i dont think it would lock up 5mph. LSD's we used for racing u could fit new clutch plates or even adjust with shims (made from cut into shape COKE CANS)

I probably took the revs up to 2000rpm as its was gone 10pm at night, dind't want to make too much noise, just one wheel spinning. so I suppose 45mph@6000prm so wheel must be spinning at 15mph some to think of it.
Possibly new rear diff required. I need to change the half shaft and bearing anyway, so will change it all in one go, funds dependant.

hi mate been chattin wi paul and doin home work and as soon as diff moves it should lock up, thus looking at the technical term for your problem its F^*$ED, lol

I'll get a nice shiny new one to go in there then, along with a new halfshaft and bearings. The halfshaft is pitted, Paul saw this when we were were changing the bearings, I just need to get a new shaft. So I'll get all these bits in one go. Thanks for the technical term. lol

Just tested out the rear diff in the car park, it lite up both tyres quite well. So it looks the the power delivery to both wheels comes and goes. I have a list of parts to get. If I'm changing the diff, I will change the gears too. Not sure what ratio I have will check first. It may be 3.73's, i dont want to go 4.10's so 3.90's may be a nice inbetween. However I may have 3.42's as Manual is slightly differnt to auto's. I'll find the info and make my choice from there.

Back