New Road Tax Exemption rules!

sarah

Club Photographer
Finally a bit of good news!!

It used to be that the exemption was a rolling 25 years with a cut off of 1973.

Road Tax exemption is now rolling again, but 40 years this time around!!

So, from 1st April 2014 any car built before January 1974 will be tax exempt and then from January 2015 the previous fixed cut off will become a rolling 40 year cut off. According to the Treasury, around 10,000 classic vehicles will benefit from this rolling cut off. The document also states that the government considers the UK classic car industry to be an integral part of our nation's historical heritage.

So if any of us have a vehicle that is 40 years old or older then you're quids in from April! I've only got 17 years to wait :D

excuse me being thick but where does bee stand being a 76

yey awesome

Maybe you're right Rob.....it might be 2017 if Bee was registered Feb or later?

sarah she was made in jan 76

Yes this is good news , also help the motor trade and mean more cars will come onto the market

40 years !!!!! That's just taken the piss...once again the government pretending to help us car owners , what's the reason to make it 40 years and not 25 years , money grabbing , inbread ,head up arse barstards..........rant over......

You can't win. A government introduces a rolling 25 year tax exemption. Another government takes over and abolishes the rolling aspect. The other government gets back in and re-introduces the rolling tax exemption.
Guess you'll never please everyone!

I'm hoping it stays in place for another 26 years. Then i can benefit from it.
The government knows that any modern car will not last 10 years, it seems only throwaway cars are built now, even Electric cars have an end of life at only 5 years old. Shocking really. A throw away society we live in these days.

Any government ...will only be interested in lining their own pockets...and ripping off us car owners/drivers .

I'm hoping it stays in place for another 26 years. Then i can benefit from it.
The government knows that any modern car will not last 10 years, it seems only throwaway cars are built now, even Electric cars have an end of life at only 5 years old. Shocking really. A throw away society we live in these days.

Which is ridiculous when the whole point of electric cars is to help the environment. You'd think they'd make them to outlast their owners!
That's the major thing that annoys me about the whole electric car thing (other than them being souless, characterless eco boxes that I want nothing to do with, and needing off road parking to charge them every 5 minutes on a national grid that is already starting to struggle...) is the amount of waste due to the vast number of cars that will need to be scrapped. The government and hippies don't ever mention or address this, but there will be billions of tonnes of un-necessary waste caused by this movement. Sod electric cars, put all the money and effort into bio-fuels that can be used with all the cars currently on the roads. ---rant over ;)---

Back