Monitor slow to come on

chris68coupe

Super Moderator
I have a LG Flatron monitor running off a Novatech PC.

It used to come on straight away when the PC is started but now it can take 20 to 30 minutes to show anything on the screen. Once it comes to life it performs well all day.

Any ideas?

Do you have a laptop or another PC to try the monitor with?
Would be great to narrow the problem in half, is it the monitor not displaying, or is the PC not sending out an output.

Its an LCD display, with flouresent tube backlights, which seems odd for it to take a while for it to turn on, you may get a partial display is some tubes were failing. The old CRT monitors could be expected to warm up before displaying stuff. 20 to 30 mins is a long time.

Maybe sometihng loose inside the monitor, onces it warms up and makes contact it stays in contact until it gets cool again. This could be a cable or joint on the PCB.

Thanks for the reply, I do have another but much older PC/monitor so I can check some things. However, to be a fair test on my current PC I will have to let it cool down overnight and swap the monitor before powering up.

Dan's got 3 he can lend you a monitor lol.

Give the valves a slap aways works on a TV lol... Core the good old days lol

I put some extra coal in the PC boiler tonight, that might help!

Couldn't swap monitors as the cable connections are not compatable. I'm leaning towards something in the PC but I can live with it for now, if it gets any worse I'll take it to the menders.

What connection is it? VGA, HDMI, DisplyPort or DVI?

Could be the PC, or the internection with the GFx card, or the GFX card itself. Some PC's have the GFX card output embedded on the motherboard.

It's a DVI connection and has an ASUS graphics card.

ASUS is good. I have 6 of them.
1648826108491.png

I have more MSI ones though.
1648826152309.png

I do ave a spare MSI GeForce1030 sitting on ther shelf gathering dust, you can borrow it to help diagnose if its the monitor or card. It outputs HDMI and DVI.
1648826193485.png

Thanks for the offer Dan, is it easy to fit or do I need Anti Static gear and special tools? If no, when would be a good time to pick it up? Also, could you please supply a straight on pic of the connector just to make sure it matches my cable.

Again, many thanks.

Yes east to fit. no special tools needed, the card is held in with a phillips screw, there may be a small leaver on the motherboard to depress alowing the card to be pulled out.
For anti static precautions, just doing it on a desk with touching the case, and holding the card my the metal, all will be fine.
1648888918286.png

This card outputs DVI-D only. There are 3 variations of DVI
There is DVI-A which is analogue, and DVI-I which have both analogue and Digital.
1648889227399.png
Your monitor may take all the variations. The analogue is the 4 on the left, the '-' is the ground for them which is connected on the Digital ones too.

I have a DVI-D lead
1648889308294.png

also a spare monitor that supports DVI-D
1648889341636.png

I think which this it will help tell what ends are not working. Hopefully your monitor is DVI-D too, so it will be a fair test swapping out parts. I havn't found a kettle lead for the monitor yet.
1648889378110.png

I'm in till about 2pm if you wanted to collect, after 2pm I walk aunties dogs for about 4 miles.
I'll send address in a private messaage.

Thanks for the info, the DVI conection looks the same as mine. I will have to power down and disconect to make sure and will let you know soon.

I took some pics while it was off, this is my current graphics card.....

graphic01.jpg

Looks like I can try an older monitor after all but it will be a differant output.

This is the plug that is in my monitor.....

plug01.jpg

Again, I will have to let everything cool down for an accurate test so will report back tomorrow.

Thanks again for you help.

OK, pretty sure it's the monitor now. I noticed that when it is turned on when warm I get the 'LG' logo come up straight away. This dosen't happen when turned on from cold.

May just be the backlight in the monitor. Could be worth opening up and see if something is loose. There will be multiple inveterter plugs for the flourestent tubes embedded into the TFT panel itself. Some of the nice panel makes like LG has protection stuff in there, so if one tube fails then none turn on. You likely have more than 10 tubes in there.
I guess you have nothing to loose by taking a look. Although the display works once warmed up. I guess its a bit of inconveinence having to wait.

Thanks for that, I might have a look at some point if it starts getting worse. Start up was quite quick today - 20 minutes, yesterday it was more like 40! I usualy turn on and go and do something else so not a major problem at this time.

Hi Chris. As Dan says, if you can prove the source isn't the cause by connecting the monitor to another PC, the problem may be the power supply in the monitor not starting up quickly. I've seen them do this before and it was a faulty capacitor in the power supply. They sometimes dry up with age and heat. They only cost a quid or two but need to be soldered in.
Below is what they look like. Sometimes when they go faulty the tops bulge like the one in the picture. They should have a flat top.
Screenshot_20220405-195340~2.png

Lol I want pictures of Chris trying to desolder and resolder the new capictor back in👍👍👍👍👍

If you spot one Chris, I can change it for you. I have a selection of capacitors, if I don't have the right one they are easy enough to order in.

Lol I want pictures of Chris trying to desolder and resolder the new capictor back in👍👍👍👍👍
Solder or solder not.....There is no try! I am used to soldering but not for twenty years or so.

Back