Modify or not

AmericanThunder

Super Moderator
A chap in the US who I've been in touch with off and on since around 1999 has a white 1974 Trans-Am super Duty.
He has owned this car for a very long time and bought it without the original SD engine.
He has made the car his own with a built 462ci coupled to a modern auto transmission with paddle shifters and 17" rims.
Just had a full re-spray too and is beautifully finished.
He is thinking about selling and was thinking about asking 35000USD but people that know him and the car are saying thats too cheap and he should be asking 50000USD.
From what I see cars go for I think the upper price point is more accurate, especially knowing as much of its history as I do.

I think from a purists point of view the lack of the original SD motor is a negative, but I like cars to be a reflection of the desires of the owner/builder. So the 462 would be an advantage if your drag racing whilst the paddle shifters and modern tyres would be helpful on a road course.
Plus, its beautiful paint finish is great if your a trophy chaser as long as you aren't at a show where lack of originality hurts you.

For me, its a beautiful car and well worth the 50K, but then the mods are useful, subtle and don't distract from the car - its not like its got fake vents on the bonnet and under chassis neon lighting!!
I'm biased as I have modified cars previously, some heavily and some very lightly.

So modified or stock - whats your preference? and why?

I can sit on both sides of the fence really. I do like to see a completely original classic car, pretty much looking as it left the showroom. I find that even more impressive if it was a real basket case before as I know how much effort goes into restoring cars. And to bring a rough barn find back to an accurate representation of what the car was does take a fair bit of research and a good knowledge of the model concerned.
But I can also appreciate cars that have been heavily modified from what they originally were. I can understand how some purists might consider that sacrilege, but that too can take a massive amount of work and dedication. There are many reasons why someone might do it, including to improve performance, handling and reliability. We all know that most classic Yanks are much better at straight lines than corners, yet we all still love them. But I can understand someone who wants to heavily modify their car so they can have a better experience driving it. As a petrol head, I love cars and would find it hard to choose between standard or modified. If forced to, I guess I would probably have to say standard, only because with a standard classic, the vehicle's original personality seems more preserved somehow.

... I guess I would probably have to say standard....

Then again, am I saying that because a standard car is a blank canvas ready to be modified?! lol
For me it's a tough one and and interesting discussion. It will be interesting to hear other views.

I’m hoping others will chime in too
I love 2nd gen Trans - Am’s. Automotively, they are my first love and in particular a 1973 Superduty.
But I know driving a stock car that’s 45 years old would leave me very unsatisfied with regard to performance, braking, steering and suspension. Could I cope with my dream vs the reality or would I have to modify it?
The answer would be to modify and could I do that to a 73 Super Duty? No. So I would have to settle for something less desirable (to me) in order to build what I want. Then cost, building something like isn’t cheap as I found out when I tried. I ended questioning the anticipated end result vs a newer car and ended up buying a newer car that ticked all the boxes except my love for a particular marque and model.

Last edited:
In the ideal world i would have the classic ALL stock/factory or whatever you want to describe it motor for those classic days and a modern car for the driving experience.
I do lean towards the all standard spec IF the car in question is say 85% as the manufacture intended,(not everyones bag) i know,so speaking for myself here as i am currently
in this position where the car has had some changes done that to the purists will stand out like a plate of ribs at a veggie convention,so my quest is to return it to year one as it were.
Had it been the victim of major mechanical changes, engine etc then i would probably improve on the work done and personalise it subject to budget

Well once you have yours to factory original take me for spin and see if I can be convinced!
I keep looking at 2nd gen TA’s and even have my eye on one but just don’t think I can live with one in original spec.

I'd be more leaning towards original look(possibly lowered a little) with slight mods to make it perform better.
If you were to go to the extreme and brought a really old car with wooden wheels you wouldn't change the wheels as it's part of the cars character.

I like stock(ish) look with modified underpinnings to improve braking and steering etc. My old 68 had uprated suspension and rack and pinion steering along with hotter engine, bit of a 'Sleeper' really. Some people like matching numbers cars and the lengths they go to with regard to labels, hoses etc, can be obssesive. Each to there own in my opinion.

Well once you have yours to factory original take me for spin and see if I can be convinced!
I keep looking at 2nd gen TA’s and even have my eye on one but just don’t think I can live with one in original spec.

You won't be convinced but will take you out in it,, you have had modern for too long now to change and you kind of proved that with the TA,Mine won't be factory fresh just replacing all the knackered crap and tasteful cosmetic changes

Interesting. It seems that the general feeling is to have a few mods to improve the drive without affecting the exterior appearance of the car too much. Although I had said I was more leaned towards standard, I have to say that when my 3rd Gen Firebird was on the road (and hopefully will be again one day if I can find the time and motivation), that drove like what I can only describe as a knackered Mk3 Cortina! (and you'll know what I mean if you've ever driven one). I still loved driving it nonetheless, but confess that I would have been willing to make the necessary changes in order to stiffen everything up.

Nowt wrong with MK3 cortinas, I had one once! However, it was stock and at the time seemed to handle quite well.

i am for modify as both my pick ups are modified.

Nowt wrong with MK3 cortinas, I had one once! However, it was stock and at the time seemed to handle quite well.

I agree, I like all Brit classic Fords, particulary MK1 Granadas. It's just that I drove a couple of old Cortinas many years ago and found them a bit jelly like on the rear end. But they were old from what I remember and probably had the rear axle void bushes hanging out lol

I sometimes appreciate modified cars if they are done well and look right, but that's subjective. I like my own cars to be as bone stock as possible!

The general consensus seems to be mostly stock looking with maybe a few subtle appearance mods.
Mechanically, we seem to be happy to do more, suspension, steering, brakes, wheels and engines all fair game.