mercedes benz c class cars

saleen 192

Core Member
I won’t buy German, but that’s just me!
And yes, I am aware of the Mopar/Mercedes connection, but I’m still directly supporting another economy and only indirectly supporting za Germans!

I also avoid German cars, they keep suddenly changing lanes almost taking out other cars, indicators don't always work and brakes seem to only function right at the last second.

I also avoid German cars, they keep suddenly changing lanes almost taking out other cars, indicators don't always work and brakes seem to only function right at the last second.

Ahhhhh! And I always thought it was the drivers that drive German cars!! Turns out it’s the cars fault all along!! :wink:

on the plus side you won't have to stop when the traffic light turns red

so are you all speaking genericly about all german cars or just the round badge that has a bit of blue and 3 letters in the badge then????

the c class seams to be a bit old school layout front inline engine drive shaft to rear rear wheels engines seam to get a good review
Mercedes C-Class saloon engines, top speed & performance | Carbuye
did a go compair on a 1.8 c glass estate on average 50quid cheaper all round on tax and insurance than my subaru so might be worth a closer look there is a garge that has a black c63 all singing all dancing car looks feking massive as cars go, but would be the 1.8 or 2 or even the 2.1. 2.2 lt engine in petrol format anybody know more about these engines and cars??

something like this but in petrol if they do it in this range
MERCEDES BENZ C220 AMG SPORT ESTATE | eBa

or this but it's only the 1.6
2010 Mercedes-Benz C180 Kompressor 1.6 Blue efficiency auto Sport estate | eBa

Last edited:
I’ve said before that when you see someone driving like a prick nine times out of ten they are in a German car. And of those nine out of ten, nine of those will be in a BMW!

Good job i didn't look at or ask about the blue circle with 3 letters then lol, so back to my question in hand merc c class good bad ? engines good bad gearboxes good bad known faults ?
just looked on eurocarparts website service parts seam to be double the normal price even with discount so service costs would be a factor

Mercedes used to be known for build quality, and then they put profit first and they sank in the consumer reviews.
IIRC they used to be number one in the Surveys, and then for quite a while they didn’t even appear in the top ten. When coupled with high parts prices, I would look elsewhere especially when there is no known cure for the malfunctioning indicators on all German cars!
If it’s a workhorse, I would buy Korean. Cheap parts, immense reliability and good value for money. Remember I put 175000 miles on a Chevrolet/Daewoo over 8 years and except service items and cam belt changes it cost me nothing but fuel.

My advise having had two merc's in the house is to tread carefully on the petrol as the M2XX designated engines suffer from cam gear wear/chain wear, both ours were the 5 pot diesel and must say delivered well.
As with any car maintenance is the key but at some point something's gonna break or fall off.

Also the indicators worked well and they changed lanes in a timely manner, unlike some other make of car's...Not all german i will add:tongue2:

Thanks july92rs thats the sort of information that i and mybe other people are after so petrol engine are orone to wear is that a cetaun engine ie 1.6 or 1.8 ? Just the diesel engines that you mention??

Thanks july92rs thats the sort of information that i and mybe other people are after so petrol engine are orone to wear is that a cetaun engine ie 1.6 or 1.8 ? Just the diesel engines that you mention??

Its Deffo the petrol engine M271/M272 16V motors fitted to most models through various years, some resulting in bad misfire and ultimately bent valves

2010 Grey MERCEDES-BENZ C CLASS 1.6 C180 BlueEFFICIENCY Kompressor Elegance 5dr for sale for �6955 in Highbridge, Somerse

2010 Silver MERCEDES-BENZ C CLASS 1.8 C180 BlueEFFICIENCY Sport 5dr for sale for �8000 in Croydon, Borough Of Croydo

2008 Silver MERCEDES-BENZ C CLASS 2.5 C230 Sport G-Tronic 5dr for sale for �6995 in Swansea, City Of Swanse

So the 1.6 and 18 have save power rating big car fir a smaller engine so more stress ?? Do the 1.6 and 1.8 share same engine design and is this on your list of bad engines dose the 2.5 have same issues? Same design engine as the others just bored out so weaker??
Seams you get alot of car fir your money but is the engine on all these models a problem?

Last edited:
Best bet is give an Independent garage that deals with mere's a call and ask for some advise, usually these guys are more forward than a dealer

well won't be getting the 2.5 lt merc then £540 road tax wow

I must admit, I don't speak from experience as I've never owned a German car myself, but a couple of my self-employed mechanic mates, both of which service all brands, reckon the higher end German cars aren't all that on reliability (particularly electrics) and they cost an arm and a leg to repair. If you want reliability the general feeling seems to be go Japanese, Honda being the best...at which I do have experience, they are brilliant. Yes, they can be pricey on parts... IF they go wrong, which is pretty rare. We've just bought our 4th one! Lol

Back