March 20, 2015 — Total Solar Eclipse

TransAmDan

Forum Admin
Staff member
It's a Total Solar Eclipse in Svalbard (Norway) and the Faroe Islands, and a Partial Solar Eclipse in Europe, northern and eastern Asia and northern and western Africa. The eclipse starts at 07:41 UTC and ends at 11:50 UTC.

path720.jpg

Solar Eclipse Path

Area seeing the total solar eclipse.
More than 90% of the sun is covered.
Up to 90% of the sun is covered.
Up to 40% of the sun is covered.
Eclipse is not visible at all.

Shades of darkness

Night
Astronomical Twilight (Sun is 12 - 18 degrees below the horizon).
Nautical Twilight (Sun is 6 - 12 degrees below the horizon).
Civil Twilight (Sun is 0 - 6 degrees below the horizon).
Day

[h=2]When the eclipse happens worldwide[/h]The eclipse starts at one location and ends at another. The times below are actual times (in UTC) when the eclipse occurs.
EventUTC TimeTime in London*
First location to see partial eclipse beginMar 20 at 7:41 AMMar 20 at 7:41 AM
First location to see full Eclipse beginMar 20 at 9:09 AMMar 20 at 9:09 AM
Maximum EclipseMar 20 at 9:45 AMMar 20 at 9:45 AM
Last location to see full Eclipse endMar 20 at 10:22 AMMar 20 at 10:22 AM
Last location to see partial Eclipse endMar 20 at 11:50 AMMar 20 at 11:50 AM

<thead style="box-sizing: border-box; border-bottom-width: 2px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); font-weight: bold;">
</thead><tbody style="box-sizing: border-box;">
</tbody>
* Local times shown do not refer to when the eclipse can be observed from London. Instead, they indicate the times when the eclipse begins, is at its max, and ends, somewhere else on earth. The corresponding local times are useful if you want to view the eclipse via a live webcam.
Eclipses visible in London.

Should be good to see......I think I was in school the last time we had one?

Solar panels will stop working too.

There was a politician that raised the question 'what will we do when renewable energy runs out' lol, well we all die when the sun goes out, does she not know this....

I saw the last one, they let us out of work for while. Really weird, the street lights came on and the birds stopped singing. Remember kids, don't look directly at the sun - Use proper glasses!

You could always walk around outside with a box, its meant to be a safe way to watch the eclipse but watch out for cars in the road.

SolarEclipseSafetyCanali.jpg

Wonder if there are any good tips sarah for taking pics :) :)

Wonder if there are any good tips sarah for taking pics :) :)

Again, be careful, a SLR can be like a telescope and may damage your eyes! Also, you may damage the sensor on the camera. Without looking myself I'm sure you can find plenty of info on the interweb thingy. Similar to Dan's box, you can look at a projected image by using a telescope on a tripod focused onto a white card, once more - Don't look through the telescope or any equipment with lenses.