Horrifying.....

AmericanThunder

Super Moderator
.... true

I haven’t copied the full article here, it’s enormous, but you get the drift.

An alarming press release from the Special Equipment Market Association (SEMA) has exposed proposed changes to EPA regulations which would criminalize any modifications to street cars which affect their emissions, even for the express purpose of racing. The primary intent is not, as SEMA’s headline suggests, to ban racecars, but to put out of business any company which makes parts that defeat emissions controls for racecars. The subsequent death of grassroots and club-level racing is merely a byproduct.

Even changing an air filter can affect the emmisions. To what extent will this go. Is this just in the US? (even if it is US only it is likely to happen across the rest of the world) Is it for new vehicles only?

I dont think there is much standard on mine.

Last edited:
What happens in the US comes over the pond very quickly. You can bet your pension this will end up here too.
And this will prevent the manufacturer of aftermarket parts so whilst your existing car will be fine you won’t be able to source aftermarket parts that can affect the emissions systems.

Last edited:
Jesus! How ridiculous! This strikes me as one of those things dreamt up by some idiot with hasn't thought it through properly and has no understanding of real world situations! If the aim is to help the environment, when you consider the relatively tiny percentage of such modified vehicles in daily use, I'm sure it won't make a speck of difference and will only end up distroying jobs and livelihoods!

Back